Thom Stewart

Scott,

With the roller furler it leaves the tack hook empty on the bow. It is
in front of the furler but as soon as the sail fills with air it flies
clear. The same for the peak. I fly it from my spinnaker halyard, which
is forward of the furler. It clears itself with the wind.

Tacking is the problem; if I want to stay clear of the upper fitting on
the furler. I carry my lazy sheet forward of the furler so that when I
tack, everything clears to the other side. The clew usually needs to be
guided around.

Scott, in real light air, I often just run both sheet behind the furler
and let the peak and the tack wrap around the furler.

The fact of the matter is, this is the way I fly it most of the time.
Tacking is very simple this way and single handing I don't have to leave
the cockpit. I have to be on the proper tack to lower it.

When it is lowered I return the Halyard to a position over the spreader
to free it from the furler.

If you're thinking of doing it I'll send you some pictures. The Drifter
works great. It has really kept the Spinnaker in its Bag.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage