BoatBanter.com

-   -   Capt. Neal is back? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/25389-capt-neal-back.html)

katysails December 14th 04 01:08 AM

No...I think power and obedience are the answers....You going to argue or do
I get out the boots?

"Nav" wrote in message
Do you not think navigation is the key to everything?

Cheers

katysails wrote:

You do not captain your own boat? You only stand as navigator? Pretty
problematic when you're singlehanding, I'd say...

"Nav" wrote in message

Of course she is.

Cheers

katysails wrote:

??? Ella's not yours????

"Nav" wrote in message

I call myself Nav. beacuse I am not the Captain, just a member of the
crew. In that regard I may be unusual as there many Captains here.

To answer your second question, the number of sailors who can navigate
well by DR is small.

Now, why do you call yourself "Lady"

Cheers

Lady Pilot wrote:

"Nav" wrote:

Why will Katy be offended? Seriously, I'd like to know why some women
call themselves 'lady' something on the web.

Seriously, I'd like to know why some sailor would call themselves
'nav' something on the web.

Are there many sailors out there that can't navigate?

LP

Nav December 14th 04 01:09 AM

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message BTW - speaking as a former
fisherman who learned from the old timers and

having owned strake built Cape Islanders... have you ever caulked a seam
in your entire life? If you did.. at what gap size do you switch from
oakum to cotton and what is the correct mix ratios for the putty.....
matter of fact what are the ingredients of proper caulking putty???

Sniff. Of course you did.

I'll toss you a bone... 2/3 common putty and 1/3 white lead..... Gaps- less
than 1/4" use cotton... 1/4" or greater use oakum and set battens.

Now... do you caulk a boat wet or dry? Why?

Yes, why don't you tell us. You seem to be enjoying yourself.

Cheers

Scott Vernon December 14th 04 01:12 AM

That's what our marriage is based on.
;)

"katysails" wrote ...
No...I think power and obedience are the answers....

Donal December 14th 04 01:18 AM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Real dollars.

Isn't everyone? That's just too easy.

I'd prefer to be a Sterling millionaire.

Regards

Donal

Nav December 14th 04 01:23 AM

So, what good will shouting do when you don't know where you are or
where you are going?

Cheers

katysails wrote:

You do not captain your own boat? You only stand as navigator? Pretty
problematic when you're singlehanding, I'd say...

"Nav" wrote in message

Of course she is.

Cheers

katysails wrote:

??? Ella's not yours????

Nav December 14th 04 01:27 AM

Kind of possessive.

Cheers

Scott Vernon wrote:

MY marriage, to MY wife.

Scott Vernon December 14th 04 01:31 AM

Very much so.

"Nav" wrote in message
Kind of possessive.

Cheers

Scott Vernon wrote:

MY marriage, to MY wife.

Overproof December 14th 04 02:15 AM

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message BTW - speaking as a
former fisherman who learned from the old timers and

having owned strake built Cape Islanders... have you ever caulked a seam
in your entire life? If you did.. at what gap size do you switch from
oakum to cotton and what is the correct mix ratios for the putty.....
matter of fact what are the ingredients of proper caulking putty???

Sniff. Of course you did.

I'll toss you a bone... 2/3 common putty and 1/3 white lead..... Gaps-
less than 1/4" use cotton... 1/4" or greater use oakum and set battens.

Now... do you caulk a boat wet or dry? Why?

Yes, why don't you tell us. You seem to be enjoying yourself.

Oky Doky.... you caulk a dry boat.... but not more than a season on the
skids other wise the strakes will need to be re-soaked for 12 hours and then
air dried for a few days. You want to apply just enough caulking so that
when the strakes swell they pinch the caulking flat to the strake.
Bulged caulking is a sign of poor craftsmanship.

Here's another piece of info... when you replace strakes... seasoning should
be done by sinking the planks at mid tide level and allowing the tide to
soak and dry them for a week prior to laying to and nailing the strake to
shape.

Glad I could be of help.... now if you could be of some assistance.... I
was taking Construction Documentation Photos for a report and I can't seem
to get a decent photo of the bridge work without 'red-eye'. What should I
do?

CM