BoatBanter.com

-   -   Capt. Neal is back? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/25389-capt-neal-back.html)

Overproof December 14th 04 02:18 AM

.... or your radar can't pick out a shoreline?
.... or your prop is fouled on seaweed and the harbour is within sight?
..... or your log reads 6.8 but you think it says 8.6?

CM

"Nav" wrote in message
So, what good will shouting do when you don't know where you are or where
you are going?

Nav December 14th 04 02:18 AM

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message BTW - speaking as a
former fisherman who learned from the old timers and

having owned strake built Cape Islanders... have you ever caulked a seam
in your entire life? If you did.. at what gap size do you switch from
oakum to cotton and what is the correct mix ratios for the putty.....
matter of fact what are the ingredients of proper caulking putty???

Sniff. Of course you did.

I'll toss you a bone... 2/3 common putty and 1/3 white lead..... Gaps-
less than 1/4" use cotton... 1/4" or greater use oakum and set battens.

Now... do you caulk a boat wet or dry? Why?

Yes, why don't you tell us. You seem to be enjoying yourself.

Oky Doky.... you caulk a dry boat.... but not more than a season on the
skids other wise the strakes will need to be re-soaked for 12 hours and then
air dried for a few days. You want to apply just enough caulking so that
when the strakes swell they pinch the caulking flat to the strake.
Bulged caulking is a sign of poor craftsmanship.

Here's another piece of info... when you replace strakes... seasoning should
be done by sinking the planks at mid tide level and allowing the tide to
soak and dry them for a week prior to laying to and nailing the strake to
shape.

Glad I could be of help.... now if you could be of some assistance.... I
was taking Construction Documentation Photos for a report and I can't seem
to get a decent photo of the bridge work without 'red-eye'. What should I
do?

Hire a Professional Photographer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Overproof December 14th 04 02:30 AM

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

[...]

I'd hire Bob.... but he keeps getting red-eye on all his shots.
Maybe you could take a shot for me from the observatory?

CM

Nav December 14th 04 02:45 AM

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

[...]

Difficult. The earth is curved so that no matter how long a lens were
used I could not take a picture for you in Canada from here. If you paid
my airfare I could come and do it for you. When do you need this report
completing? Do you want digital or film?

Since you may not be able to afford my services, try getting someone to
look up Professional Photographer in the yellow pages for you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Overproof December 14th 04 03:03 AM

What do you expect with the current outlay of info you've been providing.

Seems to me you've been real shy about making any 'definitive claims' as of
late.

Don't tell me your Arrogance is wearing off with old age?

That would be a bummer!

CM

"Nav" wrote in message
Sniff... Old foolish bait

Cheers

Overproof December 14th 04 03:25 AM

"Nav" wrote in message
Difficult. The earth is curved so that no matter how long a lens were used
I could not take a picture for you in Canada from here. If you paid my
airfare I could come and do it for you. When do you need this report
completing? Do you want digital or film?

WHAT... you don't have control of the Hubble Telescope????

****.... I thought you said you knew what you were doing.

Never mind I'll just photoshop the red-eye out of the pylons myself!

CM

Nav December 14th 04 03:32 AM

Can't use the Hubble, there are too many clouds hanging over ya... No
wait, I see a clearing... Yes it's you -it must be... all covered in
flies and shaking hands... And there's a dog ... Isn't that illegal in
Canada?

Cheers

katysails December 14th 04 03:56 AM

Well, you should be more clear when you respond...you implied OUR by the way
you replied....I was greatly shocked and was about to call Lisa right away
and tell her you had converted to Mormonism...

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
MY marriage, to MY wife.

"katysails" wrote in message
Huh? I'm not married to you...(gadzooks...)

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
That's what our marriage is based on.
;)

"katysails" wrote ...
No...I think power and obedience are the answers....

katysails December 14th 04 03:57 AM

You can hope the sound will bounce off something.....

"Nav" wrote in message
So, what good will shouting do when you don't know where you are or where
you are going?

Cheers

katysails wrote:

No...I think power and obedience are the answers....You going to argue or
do I get out the boots?

"Nav" wrote in message

Do you not think navigation is the key to everything?

Cheers

katysails wrote:

You do not captain your own boat? You only stand as navigator? Pretty
problematic when you're singlehanding, I'd say...

"Nav" wrote in message

Of course she is.

Cheers

katysails wrote:

??? Ella's not yours????

"Nav" wrote in message

I call myself Nav. beacuse I am not the Captain, just a member of the
crew. In that regard I may be unusual as there many Captains here.

To answer your second question, the number of sailors who can
navigate well by DR is small.

Now, why do you call yourself "Lady"

Cheers

Lady Pilot wrote:

"Nav" wrote:

Why will Katy be offended? Seriously, I'd like to know why some
women call themselves 'lady' something on the web.

Seriously, I'd like to know why some sailor would call themselves
'nav' something on the web.

Are there many sailors out there that can't navigate?

LP