Joe

Default DR practice

If you want to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10 knots and you
sail thru a current having an estimated set of 140 and a drift of two
knots

for 1 asa pt.
What would be your course and speed made good?.

If you want to sail a course of 095 through a current having a set of
170 and a drift of 2.5 knots, using a speed of 12 knots

for 1 asa point
What course would you steer and what would be your speed made good?

You want to sail a course of 265 and a speed of 15 knots through a
current having a set of 185 and a drift of 3 knots

For 1 more asa point
What course would you steer and what is your speed made good?

Joe
Wally

Joe wrote:

I suspect that the speed you're looking for is the speed that would be
sailed through the water to acheive the desired course - speed made good is
the speed over the ground, isn't it (ie resultant of course/speed sailed and
drift/set)? I'll assume you're looking for course/speed through the water to
acheive the desired course and speed in the given conditions...

If you want to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10 knots and you
sail thru a current having an estimated set of 140 and a drift of two
knots

069 at 9.17 knots.

If you want to sail a course of 095 through a current having a set of
170 and a drift of 2.5 knots, using a speed of 12 knots

083 at 11.61 knots.

You want to sail a course of 265 and a speed of 15 knots through a
current having a set of 185 and a drift of 3 knots

277 at 14.78 knots.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Joe

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:

I suspect that the speed you're looking for is the speed that would be
sailed through the water to acheive the desired course - speed made good is
the speed over the ground, isn't it

Yes, Im talking about doing a DR plot SMG & CMG are the actual course
and speed you do.

(ie resultant of course/speed sailed and
drift/set)? I'll assume you're looking for course/speed through the water to
acheive the desired course and speed in the given conditions...

If you want to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10 knots and you
sail thru a current having an estimated set of 140 and a drift of two
knots

069 at 9.17 knots.

Sorry Wally you are incorrect.

If you want to sail a course of 095 through a current having a set of
170 and a drift of 2.5 knots, using a speed of 12 knots

083 at 11.61 knots.

Very close to the course to steer, and your speed is off by almost a
knot

You want to sail a course of 265 and a speed of 15 knots through a
current having a set of 185 and a drift of 3 knots

277 at 14.78 knots.

277 is way off, but your real close on the speed, but not right on.

Sorry you flunked

Next! Come on Jax... show us what a skilled offshore navigator you
are!
Our you just a big mouth blowhard!

It's just a simple DR plot... Mr offshore bigshot!

Wally

Joe wrote:
If you want to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10 knots and you
sail thru a current having an estimated set of 140 and a drift of two
knots
What would be your course and speed made good?.

What do you mean by I "*want* to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10
knots"? In this question, you ask for course and speed made good - so I have
to assume that, by "want", you mean 'the course I'm steering and my speed
through the water'. If that's the case, then the answer is 089 at 11.14
knots.

If you want to sail a course of 095 through a current having a set of
170 and a drift of 2.5 knots, using a speed of 12 knots
What course would you steer and what would be your speed made good?

Again, you use the term "want", but you ask for something different in the
answer - the course to steer and the speed made good. Clearly, the "course
and speed I *want*" doesn't have a consistent meaning. I may be a sweet,
innocent, fresh-faced n00b, but I'm not even sure that this question makes
sense. You give a course of 095 and a speed of 12 knots, but ask for course
to steer and speed made good. Therefore, 095 must be the course made good,
but 12 knots must be the speed through the water. I'll come back to this
shortly and see if I can work out an answer without having to do a degree in
maths.

You want to sail a course of 265 and a speed of 15 knots through a
current having a set of 185 and a drift of 3 knots

For 1 more asa point
What course would you steer and what is your speed made good?

As above - you ask for course to steer and speed made good. (Whips out copy
of Coastal Navigation and fires up AutoCAD...)

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Michael

Does he know what DR stands for?

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
yeah, that's it. yesterday means tomorrow, green means frying pan and DR

means
whatever you want, today at 7:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time when posting as

what
the frick ever.

Date: 7/17/2004 7:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time

JAXAshby wrote:
ah, yes. now we have over the knee baldly stating that "the facts of
navigation" don't follow the laws of physics. over the knee does not

give
any
reason for this, but just flatly states it is true.

the very same arguement made by true believers as to why astrology

works.

yeah. well over the knee hasn't crashed yet, so it must be true,

right?

ROFLMAO

Ahhhh jaxass, you're always good for a laugh!!

You can't argue any point as to what "DR" is or might be, so you go off
running in circles yelling "physics, physics".
You know nothing about applying set and drift or how it may be
determined, so you claim "astrology,astrology".
You might be qualified to navigate in LI sound in daylight with
unlimited visibility within a mile of the beach, but never offshore, as
you've proven you can't even safely round Hatteras with a couple of

GPS's.

BTW Yer right, I haven't crashed yet and I've been doin it fer about 45
years .....course, even idiots like you can do it nowadays .... as long
as you have enough spare gps receivers and batteries and don't lose the
signal for some reason..... then again, mebbe not.

Ahhhh well, enough jaxnonsense for this weekend.

otn

Joe

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:
If you want to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10 knots and you
sail thru a current having an estimated set of 140 and a drift of two
knots
What would be your course and speed made good?.

What do you mean by I "*want* to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10
knots"? In this question, you ask for course and speed made good - so I have
to assume that, by "want", you mean 'the course I'm steering and my speed
through the water'. If that's the case, then the answer is 089 at 11.14
knots.

Ah I see what your saying, sorry.

Let me rephrase the question

Your sailing a course of 080 at a speed of 10 knots and you
[...]

Michael

No, not you. I just wondered if he knew what the letters stood for? I
missed the initial part of this and for whatever reason the provider won't
give them up when I sign on.

M.

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
nk.net...

Michael wrote:
Does he know what DR stands for?

Jax knows a basic definition of "DR" ..... or were you asking about me?

otn

"Patriot" Act Lance Boyles ASA 1 December 9th 03 07:02 AM
(OT) Limbaugh admits addiction JohnH General 47 October 15th 03 12:09 AM
No One Sailed But Me Bobsprit ASA 13 September 29th 03 06:57 PM
The Bush Economy Stinks...and Sinks basskisser General 146 August 11th 03 12:44 PM