Wally

Default DR practice

Joe wrote:

I suspect that the speed you're looking for is the speed that would be
sailed through the water to acheive the desired course - speed made good is
the speed over the ground, isn't it (ie resultant of course/speed sailed and
drift/set)? I'll assume you're looking for course/speed through the water to
acheive the desired course and speed in the given conditions...

If you want to sail a course of 080, at a speed of 10 knots and you
sail thru a current having an estimated set of 140 and a drift of two
knots

069 at 9.17 knots.

If you want to sail a course of 095 through a current having a set of
170 and a drift of 2.5 knots, using a speed of 12 knots

083 at 11.61 knots.

You want to sail a course of 265 and a speed of 15 knots through a
current having a set of 185 and a drift of 3 knots

277 at 14.78 knots.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com