Lady Pilot

Default Any Dinghy Sailors Out There?

OzOne wrote :

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:51:58 +0930, Flying Tadpole
scribbled thusly:

When did your opinion become humble, Oz1?

Last week!

I'm *so* proud of you!

LP (still skeptical)

DSK

Navigator wrote:
Well if your winning tactics depend a skill base on the behaviour of a
dinghy they would not be much use in a big boat... The fact is that you
sail a big boat differently than a dinghy.

Maybe, maybe not. The fact remains that all the world's top racing
skippers are graduate of at least several small fast dinghy classes.

(note how Doug thinks no heel is the fastest trim).

Please quote the post where I said any such thing.

DSK

DSK

Walt wrote:
True enough. But you could say the same about whiskey barrels fitted
out with bedsheets and bromsticks...

Aw shucks, now you want to bring Flying Scots into it

Ever done any team racing, Doug? It's a bizarre sport. Very different
than fleet or match racing.

Yes, it's a lot of fun and it *is* very different. It is essential to
thoroughly memorize the "winning combinations" and work together instead
of just concentrating on sailing.

... There's a lot of "put yourself in front
of your opponent and put on the brakes" in team racing. The ability to
start and stop the boats on a dime makes this game more fun, hence the
preference for the 420 over the JY.

There's also a lot of moves where you deliberately foul another boat and
then take a 720. A favorite back when I was doing it was to sail two
opposing boats the wrong side of the mark, which required a good bit of
bumping. Nowadays I think they don't allow contact between the boats
which must change the game.

Anyway, team racing is not all of collegiate racing and putting on the
brakes is not really that big a deal in team racing IMHO. The preference
for 420s and FJs (again MHO) is 1- inertia 2- a means for the big well
established programs to stay on top. Another point is that there is a
JY-15 class, while there is no FJ or 420 class activity in the US.

Well, the JY beongs to Hunter now, so we'll see what they can do with it
marketing wise. There are many things I don't like about the JY, and
many things I do. On balance I think it's a very good choice for a club
or collegiate fleet or for anybody who wants to casually race
one-design.

I doubt Hunter will do much with it, the profit margin isn't big enough.
Although it would be nice. I considered getting a JY-15 instead of the
Johnson 18 and the class seems to be doing OK.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Donal

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:42:27 +0100, "Donal"
scribbled thusly:
Rich *******s complaining about snobs! Whatever next???

This is really a great ng.

Yes it is...but wealth doesn't equate with snobbery.

Correct.

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

Now you sound like CJS (Craig).

Nobody could be *that* boring!

Regards

Donal

Lady Pilot

"Donal" wrote:

"Lady Pilot" wrote:

Now you sound like CJS (Craig).

Nobody could be *that* boring!

Give the poor guy a break, he joined the institution of "marriage". :-)

LP

Capt. Mooron

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

| Give the poor guy a break, he joined the institution of "marriage". :-)

One of the few institutions sanctioned to be operated by it's own
inmates...... ;-D

CM

Donal

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

"Donal" wrote:

"Lady Pilot" wrote:

Now you sound like CJS (Craig).

Nobody could be *that* boring!

Give the poor guy a break, he joined the institution of "marriage". :-)

Jeeezee,..... she must be really dull!!!

Regards

Donal

Lady Pilot

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

| Give the poor guy a break, he joined the institution of "marriage". :-)

One of the few institutions sanctioned to be operated by it's own
inmates...... ;-D

Ah, double entendres...don't you love them?

I think you just hit a triple!

LP

Lady Pilot

"Donal" exclaimed:

"Lady Pilot" wrote :
Give the poor guy a break, he joined the institution of "marriage". :-)

Jeeezee,..... she must be really dull!!!

I couldn't comment, I've never met her.

LP (I've seen pictures in Italy...)