Bobsprit

Default Ferry Speeds

9-16 knots = Slow moving passenger Ferry
17-24 knots = Standard
26-49 knots = High Speed
50 and up = Ultra High Speed

I found this with ease and it's in the 2004 expanded Chapmans.

Sorry, Billy!

RB

Bobsprit

I found this with ease and it's in the 2004 expanded Chapmans.

Sorry, Billy!

Glad you were finally able to figure it out. Apology accepted!

Sorry, Billy...I made it up!!!
Shhhhaaaawinggggg!!!

Bwahahahaaha!

RB
Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Sorry, Billy!

I find it very gratifying to see a liar apologise. Well done, Bob. There
is hope for you yet!

Regards

Donal

Simple Simon

Other traffic should not need radar if only the
ferry operator would follow the COLREGS and
proceed at a safe speed and slow to a stop if
necessary to avoid a collision.

Instead, ferry operators think they can just
go about their merry way at speeds too high
for the visibility. Rather than abiding by the
COLREGS you operators flaunt the Rules and
cause accidents.

S.Simon

Subject: Ferry Speeds
From: (Bobsprit)
Date: 11/18/2003 12:51 Pacific Standard Time

9-16 knots = Slow moving passenger Ferry
17-24 knots = Standard
26-49 knots = High Speed
50 and up = Ultra High Speed

Damn, my ferry used ta do 25k .... guess I was a "high standard, slow, high
speed" ferry.

EG talk about stupid arguments.....
Actually, Boobsprit was correct on one issue. You can expect ferries to be in
"lanes" (his term, not mine), but, be anywhere, with heavy traffic, shoal
waters, and zero visibility, once, and tell me you'll think you don't need, or
at least, didn't wish you had, radar.

Shen

Shen44

From: "Simple Simon"

Other traffic should not need radar if only the
ferry operator would follow the COLREGS and
proceed at a safe speed and slow to a stop if
necessary to avoid a collision.

Typical stupid statement from the "simpleton".
A. You only THINK you know something about radar.....you don't.
B. You only THINK you know something about how ferries operate.....you don't.
C. You only THINK you know and understand the rules.....you don't.
D. You only THINK you have enough time out underway on the water to be able to
discuss the subject intelligently......you don't.

Instead, ferry operators think they can just
go about their merry way at speeds too high
for the visibility. Rather than abiding by the
COLREGS you operators flaunt the Rules and
cause accidents.

S.Simon

BG You wouldn't know a ferry, if you saw one ..... come back and talk when
you get some experience that includes something besides sitting at anchor in
Tampa Bay.

Shen

Schoonertrash

Ferry boats are like busses or trains. They operate on a fixed schedule and
many thousands of people depend on them to keep to that schedule. Common
sense, basic politeness, if nothing else will tell you to keep out of there
way. And it doesn't take more than a few minutes to Steer For The Stern
rather than the bow. If nothing else re-read Rule 2. Or better yet
consider them Restricted In Ability to Manuever by virtue of their job. It
also depends on where the ferry is located and under which laws it's
operating. In the Puget Sound and clear into Lake Washington it's
International Rules. Yet ferry's make one long horn blast when backing out
or departing. Why? It's common sense to warn other water traffic they are
about to move. Here's another difference which applies 'on' the ferry. In
Washington State they are considered part of the state highway system. All
Highway traffic rules apply to the motorist.

As for speed I took the hydrofoil to Victoria once and one from England to
the continent. Never again. Like roller skating across railroad ties.
Thumpety thumpety thumpety.

MST

Simple Simon

Comments debunking Capt. Shenandoah interspersed.

"Shen44" wrote in message ...
Typical stupid statement from the "simpleton".
A. You only THINK you know something about radar.....you don't.

One does not need to know anything about the technical aspects
of radar to understand how the COLREGS apply to the use of radar.

B. You only THINK you know something about how ferries operate.....you don't.

One need not know how ferries operate in order to understand their
obligations under the Rules.

C. You only THINK you know and understand the rules.....you don't.

I have proven time and time again that I understand the COLREGS
better than all you tugboat captains put together. If I don't understand
them then the lot of you don't even know they exist.

D. You only THINK you have enough time out underway on the water to be able to
discuss the subject intelligently......you don't.

Unlike you and the other tugboat captains, I have spent more
time on the water in the past ten years than any of you and
probably more than any two of you put together. I have seen,
firsthand, how most motor boat professional captains are rude,
and abusive of the pecking order Rules. In their minds it's
always a matter of might making right and commercial interests
over pleasure craft. Their minds are warped and bitter that
they are almost at the very bottom of the pecking order and
must give way to vessels they honestly feel are inferior to
their glorified trucks ( bulk carriers, freighters, etc.) or
oversized busses (ferries, cruise ships, etc.).

S.Simon

Simple Simon

The COLREGS don't make any mention of 'common sense'.

As far as the COLREGS go, ferries are motor vessels and must
adhere to the Rules pertaining to motor vessels. This means
they are the give-way in many situations whether you or
they care to believe it. Their schedule and the number of
people they carry has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact
they are bound by the Rules to proceed in a certain manner
when interacting with other vessels. They can carry a billion
people all needing to get somewhere on time and that does
not relieve them of their legal obligation to give way to a
sailboat underway under sail.

S.Simon

"Schoonertrash" wrote in message ...
[...]

Rick

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:50:50 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

One need not know how ferries operate in order to understand their
obligations under the Rules.

Spoken like an amateur of the most dangerous sort.

I have proven time and time again that I understand the COLREGS
better than all you tugboat captains put together.

You have proven a great deal here, Nil. However, very little of that
had anything to do with seafaring.

Unlike you and the other tugboat captains, I have spent more
time on the water in the past ten years than any of you and
probably more than any two of you put together.

Sleeping on a park bench does not make you a park ranger.

... warped and bitter that they are almost at
the very bottom of the pecking order ...

A little moment of introspection there, Nil?

How's the renewal coming along? Your friends in the White House
keeping the CG hustling for you?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Rick