Jeff Morris

Default Which Radar, Redux

wrote in message
So, I'm wondering... For coastal sailing in LIS and very occasional forays to
open ocean points north of there, do I need anything more than Furuno's model
1623?

Why do you think you need any Radar? Do you often travel in fog? Are you headed Down
East?

A small radar will help a lot if you get caught in Vineyard Sound and want to stay clear
of the ferry, but it sounds like this would only happen once a year, if that.

You can make a case for more powerful radar if you cruise the Maine Coast all summer, but
not for LIS.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at the

Simple Simon

You're new to this group so I can't blame you for
falling prey to the wannabes and pretenders who
are here mostly to disrupt this group. These
people don't sail, don't have any first hand
sailing knowledge and don't even own real sailboats.

For your edification here is a list of people to ignore.

Bobsprit - just a troll and a know-nothing troll at that.
Navigator - a foreigner and wannabe from New Zealand
Jeff Morris - has potential but is a catamaran motor boater
Capetanios Oz - loser, best to kill file the jerk
Donal - does sail but rarely shares sailing topics, mostly a communist
Rick, otnmbrd, Shen44 - motorboat refugees from rec.boats
Katysails - post menopausal housewife with an ignorant attitude

S.Simon

wrote in message ...
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:09:13 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

wrote in message
So, I'm wondering... For coastal sailing in LIS and very occasional forays to
open ocean points north of there, do I need anything more than Furuno's model
1623?

Why do you think you need any Radar? Do you often travel in fog? Are you headed Down
East?

A small radar will help a lot if you get caught in Vineyard Sound and want to stay clear
of the ferry, but it sounds like this would only happen once a year, if that.

You can make a case for more powerful radar if you cruise the Maine Coast all summer, but
not for LIS.

I was hoping for some input from people with actual experience and knowledge.
You and that Mooron guy (Who can't even spell moron correctly) seem more
interested in trying to inflate your own weak and faltering egos more than
adding anything of value.

Yes, I frequently encounter fog in the LIS, as well as moderate darkness most
nights. If you had a boat and sailed it, you would be more familiar with these
concepts.

Thanks anyway, jackass.

Joey

Donal

wrote in message
Well, I've decided that the JRC 1000, at any price is really not quite

adequate.
One thing I've found in the less expensive monochrome displays is that the
Furuno 1623 is a quantum leap ahead of most of the other lower end

displays as
far as being easy to see. That "bright silver" thingy really makes a huge
difference!

Are you the same person who asked this question last week?

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit

Yes, I frequently encounter fog in the LIS, as well as moderate darkness most
nights. If you had a boat and sailed it, you would be more familiar with these
concepts.

Joey, I think you got plenty of good info. I sail on the LIS, days and nights
and fog happens but it's not common. My C&C 32 came with radar, but it's not
something I'd swear is needed on the LIS, as others pointed out. Most days I
see fog in the mornings, burning off pretty quickly. Once we got caught in some
very thick stuff on my old Catalina 27 and we used the GPS to ring our way
home.
Most parts of the LIS are VERY well lit due to NYC glow. A clear moonless night
can test your nightvision at times, but again, you can do it without radar.
Hey, I like toys too, but let's be real about this.
As others pointed out, the JRC, Furuno and other low end units will work fine.
Go buy one and let us know how it works for you.

Capt RB
C&C 32
NY

Bobsprit

Really? I'm mostly above the Connecticut River. NYC glow is not a factor at
all.
You must be very limited in your sailing range. NYC is at one extreme end of
the
LIS. Look at a chart if you need to, to confirm this.

Sailing near port jeff we were able to see quite clearly as well as leaving the
Thimble Isle area. We did NOT use the radar to enter port jeff. Suzanne is
learning nav and she wanted to take care. You don't "need" radar on the LIS on
a small sailboat. Get as nasty as you like, but it won't change.
NOAA would not disagree on the fog issue. It's not a common occurance by any
means. And when it does come, it's rarely the pea-soup variety.

RB
Bobsprit

Did your GPS show you any yachts, ferries or barges that might be an issue?

Alright, let's start ripping you down. Do you actually sail? Do ferries and
barges just wander all over the LIS? No, they operate in lanes that can easily
be avoided with GPS. As for yachts, you have horn/bells
It's clear you know little about sailing. The #1 reason for radar on the LIS is
for tracking thunderstorms. Try asking a few people who use it and see. Even
the fishing boats on City Isle. use it primarily for that.
Sorry, you've made a jerk out of yourself....or you were one all along. You
actually sound a lot like Binary Jane!

RB

Jeff Morris

Sorry, Joey, I tried to give you reasonable advise. I have sailed in New England for over
40 years. The last dozen years I've had radar, and I've been happy to have it. But I
cruise the Maine Coast, Buzzard's Bay, and Vineyard Sound - all places that have more than
their share of fog. I've also traveled the East Coast to Florida several times, and
haven't used radar more than few times south of Newport.

LIS has very little fog; roughly 1% of observations have visibility less than 1/2 mile.
If you "frequently encounter fog" in LIS, you don't know what fog is. When you get
further East, you run into more consistent soup: Nantucket is 10% of observations. Even
in the cities in Maine the number is 4%, but offshore that can go much higher. And while
radar is handy at night, it shouldn't be needed in good visibility.

Further, you asked if you need anything more than a 1623. The answer, in my opinion, is
no. You'll make marginal use of a small radar on LIS; I don't see any reason to spend
money on a bigger. What do you think you need? More power? More range? Better
resolution? A bigger screen? You tell us, what feature do you think you need? You
haven't told us what kind of boat you actually have, or where you plan to cruise.

BTW, I've worked my way down in radars - I started with a Vigil, then a Ray 10XX, now a
Ray SL70, which is roughly equivalent to the 1623. The first two were in the cockpit, but
away from the helm; the SL70 I have at the helm so I can practice with it all the time.
If you're planning on mounting it below at the "nav station" it's a waste. You won't
practice with it enough to learn how to use it when its really needed.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
If you can't say something nice, say something surrealistic. -Zippy