Steve

Default Flux Compass input to radar??

I'm attempting connect my SiTex flux compass as a heading sensor for my
Furuno 1721 MKII.

The compass input is seperate from the NMEA 0183 input from my GPS.. Totally
different connector.. called the "Gyro Connector", however, according to
the manual it also excepts input from any Flux compass sensor with NMEA 0183
output. The exceptable data (talker/sentence) are HDM, HDG and HDT.

The connector on the Furuno radar has four (4) signal connections. DATA-H,
DATA-C and CLK-H, CLK-C.

Flux compass has NMEA 0183 output (talker/sentence HCHDM (heading), HCDOD
(course) and HCXTR (deviation). Data output connector Data Output is SIGNAL
and RETURN.

I thought this would be a simple matter of connecting compass data SIGNAL
to radar DATA-H and compass RETURN to radar DATA-C.

Doesn't work, not getting a compass input to the radar or the radar isn't
recognizing the input when I try to select it on the setup menu..

Should I be using the CLK-H and CLK-C some how..

Or, what am I missing here??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug

Steve,
The Furuno 1721 will accept AD-10 format (clocked serial) or NEMA183 format.
For NEMA use Data-H and Data-C, pins 1 and 2, which then go to an opto
isolator U27 and analog gate U25. AD-10 format is the only one to use pins
3 and 4, CLK-H and CLK-C. It may be time to give Furuno tech support a call.
They are very good.
Doug K7ABX

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Thanks Doug, I thought I had it correct..

I think, before I bother tech support, I'll go back and recheck my cable,
pin to pin and make sure I didn't screw that up.. Those wires and pins are
pretty small for these old eyes (not to mentions the size if the numbers).

Sometimes I pays to just put everything away and revisit the problem on a
'better' day..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug

Steve,
NEMA 183 requires menu setting of MAG, AD-10 uses GYRO menu setting. Bet you
already knew that.
Doug K7ABX

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

I checked and double checked and the cable is correct.. I have a feeling
there is some undocumented setting in the Flux Gate that needs to be set for
NMEA output.

I'm trying to figure a way to hook this Flux gate up to the laptop so I can
look for the data output in hyperterm.

Steve ;o((
s/v Good Intentions

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:21:24 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I checked and double checked and the cable is correct.. I have a feeling
there is some undocumented setting in the Flux Gate that needs to be set for
NMEA output.

I'm trying to figure a way to hook this Flux gate up to the laptop so I can
look for the data output in hyperterm.

Steve ;o((
s/v Good Intentions

Send it to the serial port and use a modem program. I logged several
NMEA sentences at once with a multiplexer that way until lightning
destroyed the multiplexer.

Then you can see if it is sending the expected sentence.

Of course, if you have another device that looks for that particular
sentence, that would be less trouble.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia
Steve

Yah, I was thinking the same thing.. Just turn off the GPS, use clip leads
to connect to my hardwired hub, where my Laptop serial connects. Then start
Hyperterminal.

Thanks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Default Flux Compass input to radar (Update)

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm attempting connect my SiTex flux compass as a heading sensor for my
Furuno 1721 MKII.

Doesn't work, not getting a compass input to the radar or the radar isn't
recognizing the input when I try to select it on the setup menu..

Or, what am I missing here??

I hooked the Flux Gate Compass NMEA 0183 output up to the serial port on my
laptop and tried running The Capn (compass option) and go "000"s.. To verify
that all was well with the program and serial configuration, I turned on the
GPS and all was well with that serial input.

I then hooked the Flux Gate back up to the serial port and ran HyperTerminal
and got nothing. I then switch on the GPS and within a second or two I had a
stream of data from the GPS.

Verified that all was correct with the cable connection.. Went through the
manual several times to see if there was some menu option I should select.
Nothing documented..

I guess I will contact Si-Tex tomorrow and see if they can still provide any
tech support since this unit is no longer in production. It's only been used
for a few months, but was purchased new about 4 years ago..

If they can't help me then I guess I'll open it up and look for anything
obviously wrong..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:08:11 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

RS-232C serial ports are NOT clairvoyant. They do not adjust their
speed, number of bits, stop bit or not automatically.

I suspect the computer port is set to 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1
stop bit and the Fluxgate is putting out a different speed or 7 bits
or parity or no stop bits or a combo of different things.......keeping
it from being read by the port....

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....
Steve

Isn't NMEA 0183 going to be the same for both the GPS and the Flux Gate..

I have the Serial port set at 4800, 8 bit, no parity and one stop bit. That
works fine with any of the three GPS I have available..

I leave these setting and connect the port to the Flux Gate Compass and get
nothing.. In the absence of info otherwise, I would have to assume that it's
output would be this standard output for NMEA 0183..

It appears (or I haven't found) any control over these out put setting from
the Flux Compass. The only NMEA 0183 info in the manual has to do with the
two data lines on the DIN connector: SIGNAL and RETURN Data Output.

In the specifications it states: DATA OUTPUT-- NMEA 0183: HCHDM(heading),
HCBOD(course), HCXTR(deviation).

Still wondering ??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions