Bobsprit

Default Which Radar, Redux

Yes, I frequently encounter fog in the LIS, as well as moderate darkness most
nights. If you had a boat and sailed it, you would be more familiar with these
concepts.

Joey, I think you got plenty of good info. I sail on the LIS, days and nights
and fog happens but it's not common. My C&C 32 came with radar, but it's not
something I'd swear is needed on the LIS, as others pointed out. Most days I
see fog in the mornings, burning off pretty quickly. Once we got caught in some
very thick stuff on my old Catalina 27 and we used the GPS to ring our way
home.
Most parts of the LIS are VERY well lit due to NYC glow. A clear moonless night
can test your nightvision at times, but again, you can do it without radar.
Hey, I like toys too, but let's be real about this.
As others pointed out, the JRC, Furuno and other low end units will work fine.
Go buy one and let us know how it works for you.

Capt RB
C&C 32
NY