Joe

Default Thank You Ol Thom

Thanks for doing your part in making the USA the greatest country on earth.
Thank you and all the vets that carried the tourch of freedom.

Who else here is a veteran?

Joe
C.A.P.
N.J.R.O.T.C.
BMSN
USS Samuel Gompers AD-37
USMM Master

Its to easy to tell who is not.

DSK

Joe wrote:

Thanks for doing your part in making the USA the greatest country on earth.
Thank you and all the vets that carried the tourch of freedom.

Who else here is a veteran?

I'll second that, and add a salute.

Doug King, ex BT1(SW)
USS MacDonough DDG-37
USS Paul FF-1080

Thom Stewart

Default Thank You Ole Thom

Thanks Joe,

Doug , I return your Salute! You younger Vets deserve your share of real
credit,

In my war, we knew who the enemy was and where to find him. It was the
Leaders of the Military's job to defeat him, It was a hard, costly war
but it had a direction and a goal. TOTAL VICTORY!!

That, I believe was the last war fought that way. You younger Vets have
never had that option. Politics have entered our lives and God help me
for saying this, but I don't think anyone can know what a final victory
is anymore.

I do salute the Military of today. They have it tougher than we did.

Thanks Joe and everyone who serviced and services. To all OUR VETS----

GOD BLESS AMERICA; And "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!"

Ole Thom

DSK

"Thom Stewart" wrote...
Thanks Joe,

Doug , I return your Salute! You younger Vets deserve your share of real
credit,

In my war, we knew who the enemy was and where to find him. It was the
Leaders of the Military's job to defeat him, It was a hard, costly war
but it had a direction and a goal. TOTAL VICTORY!!

That, I believe was the last war fought that way.

I dunno about that, Thom. War is always a military means to a political solution for an economic problem. It's a loose
term for any large group of people attempting to impose their collective will on another group by force. An old fashioned
word for terrorism might be sabotage, and every country has tried it's hand at sending saboteurs into 'enemy' territory.

The enemy we are currenty fighting (outside of those enemies of the Constitution that we have, Lord help us, elected over
ourselves) uses terrorism or sabotage because that is the only way they have to fight. They are so poor & so desparate
that they have no other means. Therefor they have no big, obvious, economically valuable targets for our military to go
after.

We have two huge strategic problems, and no leader of any industrialized country has AFAIK addressed either.

1- the terrorists are irrational and cannot agree on their own goals, so there is no hope of making 'peace' with them on
any terms

2- the terrorists make very handy agents for behind-the-scenes economic groups who profit by the destruction of
competitors assets

I wish I had some answers myself, contemplating the whole situation makes me very sad.

I do salute the Military of today. They have it tougher than we did.

In some ways, it's not so bad. Cell phones & email make it easy for today's servicemen to keep in daily contact with
their families. Equipment is much better & more reliable. Living conditions are also a lot better, although it seems to
me (and I thought about this a lot back in my day) that the US always chooses to fight in most horrible climates &
terrains we can find.

Thanks Joe and everyone who serviced and services. To all OUR VETS----

GOD BLESS AMERICA; And "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!"

I'll drink to that, too, Thom!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The_navigator©

Some have very clear goals. It is usually their means of achieving it
that they cannot agree on. While many would like to kill all Americans
as vermin, other wish to scare you to an honest, open negotiation table.
That you lump them together reveals your lack of diplomatic smarts. The
US's second major problem is that you gain no respect on their eyes as
you, yourself, carry out acts of terrorism and support terrorist
countries/regimes -when it suits you.

Cheers MC

DSK wrote:

[...]

DSK

The navigator© wrote:

Some have very clear goals. It is usually their means of achieving it
that they cannot agree on. While many would like to kill all Americans
as vermin, other wish to scare you to an honest, open negotiation table.
That you lump them together reveals your lack of diplomatic smarts.

Excuse, me, it seems you have a problem with reading comprehension. Is English your native language?

I did not "lump them together" other than in the sense that they cannot agree, which you seconded. So how does this 'reveal'
anything at all about my 'diplomatic smarts,' aside from which I'm not a diplomat at all.

The
US's second major problem is that you gain no respect on their eyes as
you, yourself, carry out acts of terrorism and support terrorist
countries/regimes -when it suits you.

Since you have no respect for the US to start with, why bother with trying to impress the likes of you?

DSK

DSK

And you then said:

Some have very clear goals. It is usually their means of achieving it
that they cannot agree on

In other words, they cannot agree. As I said.

Thank you and good night. Don't forget to take your medicine before beddie-byes.

DSK

Thank you Old Thom! Simple Simon ASA 1 September 9th 03 01:01 AM
Inexpensive sails - Ole Thom. Simple Simon ASA 36 September 3rd 03 11:16 PM
Pneuma's New Main Thom Stewart ASA 33 August 18th 03 02:49 AM