Simple Simon

Default That was no rock that Bobadil struck!

Might does not make right!

Even the biggest motorboat in the world must
give way to a sailboat according to the rules.

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:03:33 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

The sailboat is the stand-on vessel and is required
by the Rules to hold course and speed until and
unless it becomes apparent that the motor boat is
not taking the required action and a collision will
ensue unless the sailboats takes action to avoid the
collision. Then the sailboat can take such action
as it deems necessary to avoid the collision.

Don't ever try sailing in Sydney Harbour and doing this to a ferry.
You'll need a new boat and pay for the ferry damage.

PDW

Jonathan Ganz

I have, but they were going to hit a sea wall.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Hey, stupid, I have NEVER seen a motorboat throw it in
reverse to avoid a collision. They have some sort of mental
block against it and that's a fact.

"otnmbrd" wrote in message

nk.net...
Then why don't you wait and see what transpired? I know of very few
(Neal excluded)people who won't try and put the brakes on when the are
about to have a collision .
Signaling and attempting to turn are excellent defenses .... one would
hope ( unless circumstances dictated otherwise) that he also included
slowing, but the reporter wouldn't know and/or understand the importance
of this to the story.

otn

otnmbrd

LOL...and, yet ANOTHER example of Neal's amateur status. You really
never have seen any fog, have you?

otn

Simple Simon wrote:

Had you not been in violation of the Rule that states
you must not create a close-quarters situation you
would not have found it necessary to take drastic
action.

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message ...

Didn't I recently relate a situation in thick fog when I used reverse to come to a
complete stop? I guess I'm not a powerboater after all, eh?

Donal

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Hey, stupid, I have NEVER seen a motorboat throw it in
reverse to avoid a collision. They have some sort of mental
block against it and that's a fact.

Last year I saw a survey vessel go into full astern to avoid a yacht that
was racing. The survey vessel had been broadcasting at least every 60
seconds that it was unable to alter course, and it was flying the correct
shapes. The radio waves almost turned blue after the incident.

The shapes that the survey ship was flying seemed to be the same size as the
shapes that I carry aboard. They were almost impossible to see on the ship.
Some sort of strobe light would be much more effective.

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Shen44" wrote in message
A problem with many day shapes (besides their size) is that they are

carried in
areas (on mast and yardarms) where they can tend to blend in and/or be

obscured
by various bits of equipment.

Exactly!

Not sure a strobe would be of any help in daylight.

Anything would help. The shapes were not immediately visible. I'm not sure
that bigger shapes would fix the problem. A bright strobe light would be
visible even in daylight.

Perhaps I should explain a bit more. I actually saw this ship twice. I've
already described the first encounter - which occurred when I was delivering
my boat to Brittany for our summer cruise.

Three weeks later, when we were returning to Portsmouth, I saw a ship on a
collision course. I assumed that it would alter course. As we got closer,
I used the binocculars to read the ship's name so that I could call her up
to tell her to change course. Imagine my surprise when I read the name -
"Ocean Seeker" - and I realised that it was the ship that we had heard 3
weeks earlier. I did an immediate 180. I also checked the radio, and
discovered that it was on 72. Tsk, tsk!

Regards

Donal
--

Shen

Shen44

Sheesh, what rotten "proof reading" for spelling, on my part, for my last post

Donal

"Shen44" wrote in message

One suggestion: Ships/boats, engaged in different forms of work, such as
survey, fishing, offshore supply, tend to be of a type/shape and size,

coupled
with running at slower speeds (in some cases) when working.

Here is a picture of the boat in question
http://www.gardline.co.uk/seeker.html

It looked like a coastal freighter from our boat. It was doing about 12-15
kts (guess). There was nothing unusual about its speed.

With this in mind, don't just look for lights and shapes. Mentsally

picture
what you are looking at, and try to categorize, while thinking of the

possible
maneuvers, etc. it could be doing, if it falls into one of your categories

it may give you something to start working on for possble actions he will

take
as well as what you can do.

I realize the above is kinda vague, but I always try to figure out type,

size,
nationality, where from and to, and what it may be doing out of the

ordinary,
so I can start developing plan A,B,C, ......

Likewise!

Regards

Donal

1960's Mariine Ply Commodre, Melbourne / Black rock / Morrington Peninsula Australia If Only Cruising 4 June 13th 04 11:46 PM
JPS hiding under a rock... Backyard Renegade General 22 January 1st 04 12:46 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM
struck by maniac last night, what to do moyo General 20 July 23rd 03 02:04 PM