moyo

Default struck by maniac last night, what to do

Last night while fishing under Russell bridge a nutcase came roaring
thru a clearly marked "no wake " zone. When several other boaters
yelled at him to "slow down" he gunned his engines and created larger
wakes. Then he started doing larger circles yelling "You want wake,
how much wake and so forth" It was dark so we could not see the boat
numbers but after he left things quieted down. About 1/2 hour later I
noticed a boat coming right at us I first thought it was DNR but this
boat was too big and then it struck my boat. It was the same nutcase
from earlier and this time was ranting "you don't tell me no wake" I
warned him off many times and cited the 2 kids in our boat but to no
avail. He struck my boat 3 more times doing about 2000 total damage
before motoring away. When DNR arrived after we called 911 they took a
report and got the boat registraion numbers that I were able to see
when the guy was ranting at us.

OK, I have this guy's registration #. How can I find who the owner of
the boat is...?

Moyo
Keith

If they're state numbers, e.g., TX 9999 SD, you can contact your state's
parks and wildlife or whatever department issues the registrations.

I hate to say it, but if he was acting like that, the boat may be stolen, or
the guy that owns it wasn't driving it. Good luck and happy hunting!

--

Keith
__
"moyo" wrote in message
[...]

Snowjacks

I assume that you're talking about the Russell Bridge on the Ohio River near
Ironton. Did the incident happen on the Ohio or Kentucky side of the river?
If it was on the Ohio side, contact the Ironton Police today and give then a
report, and then contact the local District Attorney's office Monday to
pressure then to do something. I wouldn't trust Ohio DNR to agggressively
pursue this. If you were in Michigan, Michigan DNR would probably have a
search party after the guy. Depending on the facts, including the size
difference of the boats, extent of the damage, how far offshore you were,
age of kids, etc the perp could be looking at a felony assault charge. If
they had sunk you, it could have led to a fatality.

If on the Kentucky side, contact the Kentucky State Police and file a
report.
"moyo" wrote in message
[...]

malcolm

good luck

"moyo" wrote in message
Last night while fishing under Russell bridge a nutcase came roaring

noah

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:51:05 GMT, (moyo)
wrote:

[...]

I agree with Snowjacks, persue criminal charges.
You're fortunate that no one was killed. The next time this guy goes
ballistic, someone may be dead. Do what you can to stop him now.
You'll sleep better, and so will anyone boating in that area.

In my neck of the woods, he'd be looking at aggravated assualt,
assault with a motor vehicle, and reckless endangerment charges.

Once you establish the criminal complaint, then go after repair costs.

Good luck,
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Steve Barker

Post the number here, so everyone can avoid this nut if he's allowed to stay
on the water.

--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker
Stilwell, Kansas

=======================
Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box
"moyo" wrote in message
[...]

noah

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:01:15 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

It's a publicly displayed reg #. I can't imagine posting it hurting his
case in any way. Even if the dickhead did find out.

I'm tempted to agree with you Steve, but I can't. As much as this
jackass deserves the embarrassment, I'd be cautious.

Some sleaze-ball attorney could turn it into an attempt to cause
public humiliation, slander, or an attempt to incite bodily harm or
revenge. I've seen stranger things happen, and it will cost money to
defend.

If it was me, I would make a criminal complaint, right now.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Wayne.B

On 20 Jul 2003 17:15:06 -0500, noah
wrote:

If it was me, I would make a criminal complaint, right now.

I agree. The behavior clearly falls under the assault or harassment
laws, possibly both. Do you have any names or reg #s from the other
boats who witnessed the original incident? If the police refuse to
pursue it, try the District Attorney's office, if they turn it down
try your local newspaper or TV station.