If Only

Default 1960's Mariine Ply Commodre, Melbourne / Black rock / Morrington Peninsula Australia

Hi all, Im a newbie Mariner possibly moveing to Melbourne area next year
from the UK, I am very much a boating novice having been on just a handfull
of weekend Sailing trips out of Plymouth UK and the odd hired cruiser / lake
boat...however part of my life change plans or one of my visions is to take
far more time to enjoy the water with a small cruiser bobbing around in Port
Phillip bay or around French Island and then out of the bay and perhaps
along the coast a little once my skills are improved .

Can anyone be kind enough to point me to any web sites or dedicated forums
that may be suited to this pursuit in particular I am interested to learn of
and recieve recommendations for sailing/ cruiser schools and marinas /
worshops etc in these areas.

OK onto boats themselves I'm probably going take an inflatable and outboard
with me as it packs up small and would be good for lobbing in the back of a
4x4. However my thoughts for a novice starter vessel is that I have been
offered for free a close to finished project by my father. Its a 14ft "
Marine Ply " Commodore " plans were bought in the US in the late 60's,
constuction started in 1968, yes that right 68 its now 2004 thats 36 years
in the making! it is a complete hull with all the seats bases etc in place,
it has the deeper "V" hull making it more stable in the sea rather than the
flatter hull version for lakes and rivers apparently? It has been sat in dry
storage and was rubbed down and treated in the late 80s early 90's and has
no rot etc, the wood is in excellent condition so to is the 1990's trailer
it is sat on. The project just needs few long hard weekends to finish it
off. I am waiting for my father to dig out all the origoanl plans to get
more information on this but..

I would be really grateful if anyone has any infomation on this type of boat
from my sketchy discrption. If Ilikely to have the available container space
I recon it could be worth me putting in the graft over the UK winter wet
dark nights ready for Febuary - July when i could head down under unless
some one can tell me different and i'll save myself the worshop time and pay
the $ on arrival for something in situe already.

Please point me in the right direction if I have posted in the wrong forum
etc, thanks for your time.
Aid.

If Only

Self Help:
http://www.woodenboatshop.com.au/index.htm

hope it helps anyone else looking for similar, any other suggestions?

"If Only" wrote in message
[...]

If Only

More self Help: this may help others one day?;

I have found all the information on this Commodore 13' 6" Runabout (1968
Vintage) designed by P.W. Blandford (aOf Warwickshire and Associate of the
Royal Institution of Naval Architects. ) P.B.K. boat plans suppied by
R.C. Marine Ltd (Middlesex UK)with loads of documantation and
correspondence with then director Mr Norman Radcliffe discussing Hull
modifications and his own experiences with this boat.... Ive found a wealth
of history on this little gem including all origonal recipts for wood and so
on.... these will be framed eventually and become a peice on my office wall.

With all the documentation are mamy other origonal vintage wooden boat plans
and sales brouchers etc... Im reluctant to sell these right now but so long
as Im not upsetting any copyright I would be happy to scan these or possibly
lend then to enthusiasts if they were of interest? not sure if they would
be.

would be good to hear from anyone in Melbourne area still.

Aid.

John Proctor

On 2004-06-13 18:01:23 +1000, "If Only" said:

More self Help: this may help others one day?;
Snip....

Please point me in the right direction if I have posted in the wrong forum
etc, thanks for your time.
Aid.

Aid,
I sent you mail via hotmail account. I have my boat at the Westernport
Marina at Hastings. If you need a local contact just let me know.

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

If Only