Wally

Default Still no one!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

I haven't sailed anything that size, but I know it's satisfying to sail a
16' dinghy up to a pontoon with perfect speed to stop alongside.

Yup. Learned how to do that on a friends J30. But sailing into a crowded

and
very active slip area is not usually a great idea.

I can imagine it would be quite scary with boats that are big, expensive and
slow to stop. But you rarely get busier than an entire dinghy race fleet all
trying to get onto the slipway at the same time. :-)

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

Bobsprit

I can imagine it would be quite scary with boats that are big, expensive and
slow to stop.

I tend to worry about the "other guy" more. You just never know what will panic
some poor sailor or powerboater...then they do something really dumb.
I never assume that the other sailor/driver has a clue.

RB
Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

I can imagine it would be quite scary with boats that are big, expensive

and
slow to stop.

I tend to worry about the "other guy" more. You just never know what will

panic
some poor sailor or powerboater...then they do something really dumb.
I never assume that the other sailor/driver has a clue.

Yup, a safe perspective to have. It surprises me how few (if any) bumps
there are between dinghies when they're at such close quarters.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Bobsprit

Yup, a safe perspective to have. It surprises me how few (if any) bumps
there are between dinghies when they're at such close quarters.

Dinghy sailors DO have a clue most of the time. It's the big boats and their
owners who are cause for defensive tactics.

RB
Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Yup, a safe perspective to have. It surprises me how few (if any) bumps
there are between dinghies when they're at such close quarters.

Dinghy sailors DO have a clue most of the time.

I guess so. Being so small, they're quite vulnerable and, although the
occasional swim is part of dinghy life, going swimming isn't desired, as
such, and certainly not in a collision situation. One of my overriding
colregs when dinghy sailing is 'stay out of the way of the big boats'.

It's the big boats and their
owners who are cause for defensive tactics.

Why would that be? Does the owner's stupidity or arrogance increase with
boat size?

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Donal

"Wally" wrote in message
"Bobsprit" wrote in message

It's the big boats and their
owners who are cause for defensive tactics.

Why would that be? Does the owner's stupidity or arrogance increase with
boat size?

In Bobsprit's case there is a definite corrrelation!

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit

Why would that be? Does the owner's stupidity or arrogance increase with
boat size?

The world is filled with people who sail, but can't sail.
Have a chat with Scotty, Ganzy, Donal and others and you'll quickly gather what
I mean. These types rely on magazines and watching Captain Ron to design their
sailing ideals.

RB
Capt. Mooron

HEH!!!! .....don't be dissin' Capt Ron!!! There's some great lines in
that movie!!

"Diesels like their oil like sailors like their rum". "Why is that Capt.
Ron?"... "Nobody knows!"
"Your a Natural..."

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

watching Captain Ron to design their
| sailing ideals.

Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

It's the big boats and their
owners who are cause for defensive tactics.

Why would that be? Does the owner's stupidity or arrogance increase with
boat size?

The world is filled with people who sail, but can't sail.

Would you please answer the question?