Bobsprit

Default Still no one!

Wouldn't it work as well if it
was just swinging under its own weight, perhaps with a damped movement?

It's damped by the fluid chambers. In fact, when the boat heels suddenly, the
mount pivots slowly until level.

RB
Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Wouldn't it work as well if it
was just swinging under its own weight, perhaps with a damped movement?

It's damped by the fluid chambers. In fact, when the boat heels suddenly,

the
mount pivots slowly until level.

Oh, right - it's not an hydraulic drive, then (which was what I thought you
meant)? Neat idea all the same. Is the scanner one of those types with a
narrow vertical propagation?

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

Bobsprit

I thought the adjustment of the jibsheet fairleads was to account for the
size of the jib (to get the pull balanced between the foot and leech).

Correct. Before and after the pic we were messing with them. A few pics can't
show overall trim for a sail. In both pics we are far too high to begin with.
Suzanne is not experienced and I told her to do all the trim herself with no
comment from me. She hoisted, set and sailed while I just enjoyed the cool
breeze.
I think this is a good thing to try, short of singlehanding. She's a bit shy of
docking. We're waiting for a quiet day for her to practice.

RB

RB
Bobsprit

Is the scanner one of those types with a
narrow vertical propagation?

Honestly, I know very little about Radar, but I'm learning. Yesterday I spent a
bit of time with it (and the manual) while Suzanne sailed.

RB
Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

I thought the adjustment of the jibsheet fairleads was to account for the
size of the jib (to get the pull balanced between the foot and leech).

Correct. Before and after the pic we were messing with them. A few pics

can't
show overall trim for a sail. In both pics we are far too high to begin

with.
Suzanne is not experienced and I told her to do all the trim herself with

no
comment from me. She hoisted, set and sailed while I just enjoyed the cool
breeze.

"we were messing with them"? "all the trim herself"?

She didn't think to set both cars the same distance along their rails? What
did she think they're for if she chose to adjust one in any case? I've only
ever sailed dinghies with fixed fairleads and even I know what they're for.

I think this is a good thing to try, short of singlehanding.

Indeed.

She's a bit shy of
docking. We're waiting for a quiet day for her to practice.

I haven't sailed anything that size, but I know it's satisfying to sail a
16' dinghy up to a pontoon with perfect speed to stop alongside. No engine,
no paddling, no jumping off with a hand on a shroud to bring the boat to a
stop, just judging when to drop the sails to let the momentum take you in.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Is the scanner one of those types with a
narrow vertical propagation?

Honestly, I know very little about Radar, but I'm learning. Yesterday I

spent a
bit of time with it (and the manual) while Suzanne sailed.

There are two types, so far as I'm aware. The one with a narrow vertical
propagation pattern is suited to motorboats becuase they don't heel. If that
type was used on a sailboat, the output would be firing into the surface of
the water on one side, and into the sky on the other. So, there's a type
with a wider vertical propagation pattern which helps to ensure that land
and other craft are still within the scanning area of a heeling sailboat.

The type with the narrow propagation has, I believe, better range for a
given power because the pattern has inherently less dissipation.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Bobsprit

"we were messing with them"? "all the trim herself"?

She + messed with them + me watching = WE.

RB
Bobsprit

I haven't sailed anything that size, but I know it's satisfying to sail a
16' dinghy up to a pontoon with perfect speed to stop alongside.

Yup. Learned how to do that on a friends J30. But sailing into a crowded and
very active slip area is not usually a great idea.

RB
Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

I haven't sailed anything that size, but I know it's satisfying to sail a
16' dinghy up to a pontoon with perfect speed to stop alongside.

Yup. Learned how to do that on a friends J30. But sailing into a crowded

and
very active slip area is not usually a great idea.

I can imagine it would be quite scary with boats that are big, expensive and
slow to stop. But you rarely get busier than an entire dinghy race fleet all
trying to get onto the slipway at the same time. :-)

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

"we were messing with them"? "all the trim herself"?

She + messed with them + me watching = WE.

I accept that your earlier post was semantically ambiguous.