posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default Essential Kit

Yes I am in Newfoundland and the server I think screwed up. It never
posted the reply and I thought it importsaant enough to try again when
it did not show up in an hour or so, then again, and apparently again
and again....
Shipping news was filmed a couple of hundred KM from here. It is quite
the spot. The landscape you see int he film is what we paddle in all
the time.
I am from Scotland but that goes back a long time.
Alex

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
VK1NF

We always - and I mean always - carry a dry bag which contains personal
emergency gear. Ours have a full change of clothes - mostly thrift store
wool, poly fleeces, etc - good hats and gloves, old running shoes, a
windproof nylon shell outer layer, basic shelter makings (polyethelene sheet
or Tyvek), fire making materials, repair stuff (duct tape, knife, twine,
etc.) and personal gear like spare glasses/essential meds/etc. The bags are
stowed in the toe of the cockpit - if worse comes to worst, and you're
forced to abandon the boat, you can grab the bag, get ashore, and survive.
BTW - your post didn't mention any sort of thermal protection - I
imagine your waters are also dangerously cold - do you use wet or dry suits?
If not, give it some very serious thought - don't think I'd last 10-15
minutes in our winter water here without good thermal protection.
"muzz"
Delete NOSPAM to reply to

[...]

Rick
Upper Gullies, NF CA

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
muzz

VK1NF wrote:
.. BTW - your post
didn't mention any sort of thermal protection - I
imagine your waters are also dangerously cold - do you
use wet or dry suits? If not, give it some very serious
thought - don't think I'd last 10-15 minutes in our
winter water here without good thermal protection.

Not sure whether that was aimed at me or Alex. I already have and wear
wetsuit, dry cag, wet suit boots and now waterproof trousers for when I get
out of the boat. I have just one 25l dry bag that will take a change of
clothes, will need more for other things though.

--
Muzz
http://highlandmist.blogspot.com

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

I normally wear a dry suit. I have a couple of wet suits for the nicer
parts of summer.
I normally ( not always ) have a change of cloths. They are the fast
dry stuffable gear with good polypro in there. I slap sneekers or
decent walking shoes in a hatch if there is any possibility of a hike.
Booties are useless if you have to haul a boat out 2 KM over ea rough
trail. I have had to do that once.
Oh, Hi Rick. Just realized who this is: And where you are.
Muzz is in Scotland and they get the Gulf Stream. Sub zero waters is
rare there and the snow we had " that was not forecast " Boxing Day
would have crippled the UK.
Muzz ; Rick is about 30 KM from me . Rick builds some great boats.
We get Ice bergs here, they would mess up the Clyde.
Water temp in Scotland and the greater UK is much more hospitable than
here. The UK has less coast line and more rescue facilities than we
could ever hope for.
The environment is a little different.
Alex

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Rob

Aye, and even at the temps in Scotland, you'll not last long enough for the
rescue services to actually get to you before you're likely to be dead.

Don't go alone - and don't go out in conditions beyond your ability to
cope - all the paddle floats in the world won't save you in conditions that
have put you in the water in the first place. Competent mates and the
knowledge of how to get back in the boat might.

wrote in message
oups.com...
(Snip) Water temp in Scotland and the greater UK is much more hospitable

Rob wrote:
you before you're likely to be dead.

Don't go alone - and don't go out in conditions beyond
your ability to cope - all the paddle floats in the world
won't save you in conditions that have put you in the
water in the first place. Competent mates and the
knowledge of how to get back in the boat might.

I live on the east coast where the sea temps are a little lower than the
west but it's usually not so windy, and I have been doing most of my
paddling in the Firth which does give more protection from inclement
weather. I totally agree that it would be difficult to get back into a boat
if conditions are bad enough to tip you out.
When I bought the gear at the shop today guess what the girl said ? You're
not going out on your own are you ?
I'll take the advice of the more experienced and if alone I'll stick to the
coast in the Firth when the forecast is good and also get on more club
trips. Three star training can't be far away.

--
Muzz
http://highlandmist.blogspot.com
http://www.geocities.com/tripdogmonkey

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Rob

Muzz, seriously, concerned! Just to put that into context, of the
"incidents" I know about from reading UKSKGB and the SCA incident reports,
and from other folk, I know of 4 in the Firth of Forth in the last 36
months. I know of one other (Summer Isles) last Easter.

"muzz" wrote in message
Rob wrote:
[...]

Yes I'm afraid I will still be going out alone! The Cromarty Firth is
physically very different from the open Firth of Forth. After seeing it
almost every day for the last 20 years that I have lived on it's
shoreline I have a pretty good idea of what it is capable of. I'm no
hero and have no qualms about changing or ditching a pre planned
paddle.
I winter hillwalk also and completed a walk in the holidays ( on my own
! ) that I had abandoned the previous year due to poor visibilty.
That said, I know I can still be caught out, we all can. Careful
consideration, local knowledge, common sense and as you say experience
must all be used in assessing the situation and reducing the risk. My
very stable boat helps too !
I do appreciate your concerns and value any advice. I hope I have gone
some way to making you believe that I am not a nutter.
I won't be going out today. Check the forecast for my area. :-)

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

muzz wrote:
Yes I'm afraid I will still be going out alone!

The usual advice is the old Chestnut "less than 3 there shall never
be!", but note that the same people that give you this advice were very
happy to support Pete Bray's solo Atlantic kayak crossing, so it has to
be seen that it's a guideline rather than a rule set in stone.

Things like split paddles are a bit of a no-brainer, because unlike
walking gear the excess weight and bulk isn't really an issue. I'd
always take splits and a paddle float if I was out on my own (if you
know anyone going to Canada you can get MEC's paddle floats for half of
what the equivalent costs here, or make up your own). I always take a
tow line, but if you're on your own then it's of rather less use than a
float!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK