posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
muzz

Default Essential Kit

With Christmas over and my mind turning more and more to trips outside the
protection of the Cromarty Firth I have began looking at some more kit that
I should purchase. I already have flares, map case, compass, GPS, paddle
leash. After only an hour of paddling in a following 10 knot wind the other
day and spending that hour trying to go straight, I will definitely be
purchasing a rudder for my skegless boat.
I also want to be able to get back into the boat myself so I have paddle
float and pump on my list. First aid and repair kits come to mind and maybe
a spare split paddle. Are there any other items that I really should be
carrying ? Tow line perhaps ?

--
Muzz
http://highlandmist.blogspot.com

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Hi Muzz.
Here to be legal you need a tow line , sounding device ( whistle ) pump
or bailing device, padde ( just One ) PFD ( BA or Boyancy Aid there ).
I carry flares, marine VHF, Cell phone when it works (coverage) some
emergency food, flash lighs, compasses (2) emergency blankets, a small
first aid kit , matches and waxed fire starter, a candle or two and an
emergency change of clothes.
Temperatures here are sub zero and we don't have the Royal life boat
service you have . Out military is not that close when you need them
either.
I suspect if you dress for conditions and have the paddle float, tow
rope , pump, a spare paddle and a meens to stayb or get warm you should
be fine.
Training is the answer of course. Its cheaper and less painfull to
learn from someone elses errors.
Alex

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Hi Muzz.
In Canada we have some stuff you MUST have when out in any small boat.
5 things by law. A 15 meter floating tow rope , A paddle ( just one ) a
bailing device ( pump or bucket ) a sounding device ( whistle ) and a
PFD (Personal floatation device BA Boyancy Aid or life vest.)
The rules change when you go out after dark or over a mile from shore.
Then you have to have a light visible from 360 degrees ( a flash light)
and as you head out to sea , a set of flares and signalling devices.
In my kit I carry a couple of flash lights, two compasses ( one for
the deck and one for the pocket ) a marine VHF , a cell phone if there
is coverage. There is not a lot of coverage here. Flares , Two of the
big para affairs and a couple of hand held flares ( mars flares ) a
strobe light ( the small xenon emergency marine beacon type ) a
lighter and matches, a small first aid kit, an emergency blanket, some
fire starter, as well as some emergency food.
I don't carry a lot of water because this is Newfoundland and there are
lots of rivers. I carry a small cup I can boil water in but I wouldn't
bother. Most water here is fine. It its skanky we just go on.
I do carry water or soft drings for a day paddle but not for emergency
use. I will pay for this If I get blown of shore.
(Depending on the company If I think I may get caught out after dark I
often ( usually ) carry a dry bag with ice and a bottle of Henkel
Troken ) It works as well as Don. but costs a litle less.)
That fire starter and a warm evening it is the other and better part of
sea kayaking.
Training is a good thing too. It lets you learn not by doing foolish
things but by hearing from other ( More skilled ) people that have
sucked themselves into doing foolish things, seen other people do dumb
ass stuff or researched idiotic things that other paddlers have
experienced and not survived.
Take care
Enjoy the world greatest sport
Alex

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
cramersec

muzz wrote:
With Christmas over and my mind turning more and more to trips outside the
protection of the Cromarty Firth I have began looking at some more kit that
I should purchase..... Are there any other items that I really should be
carrying ? Tow line perhaps ?

Tow and throw bags lines make wonderful gifts for your paddling
buddies. Try to be sure that they all have one.

When you get to the point that you can paddle home into a headwind
dragging 250# behind you, starting hinting for yourself.

Steve

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

By rights you need five things to paddlle in Canadian coastal and
inshore waters.
A paddle ( just one )
A PFD ( Boyancy Aid , Life Vest.)
A bailng device ( Pump or bailer )
A 15 Meter floating tow rope .
A sounding device ( Whistle )

Off shore or after dark there is more stuff.
Flares and Signaling device for over one mile from a headland and a
light visible from 360 degrees for night. A flashlight qualifies there.

I would always carry a paddle float, inflatable in summer and rigid
styrafoam paddle float in winter.
Practice in reentry skills is a must as well.
Hope this helps Muzz
Alex