posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default Essential Kit

Hi Muzz.
In Canada we have some stuff you MUST have when out in any small boat.
5 things by law. A 15 meter floating tow rope , A paddle ( just one ) a
bailing device ( pump or bucket ) a sounding device ( whistle ) and a
PFD (Personal floatation device BA Boyancy Aid or life vest.)
The rules change when you go out after dark or over a mile from shore.
Then you have to have a light visible from 360 degrees ( a flash light)
and as you head out to sea , a set of flares and signalling devices.
In my kit I carry a couple of flash lights, two compasses ( one for
the deck and one for the pocket ) a marine VHF , a cell phone if there
is coverage. There is not a lot of coverage here. Flares , Two of the
big para affairs and a couple of hand held flares ( mars flares ) a
strobe light ( the small xenon emergency marine beacon type ) a
lighter and matches, a small first aid kit, an emergency blanket, some
fire starter, as well as some emergency food.
I don't carry a lot of water because this is Newfoundland and there are
lots of rivers. I carry a small cup I can boil water in but I wouldn't
bother. Most water here is fine. It its skanky we just go on.
I do carry water or soft drings for a day paddle but not for emergency
use. I will pay for this If I get blown of shore.
(Depending on the company If I think I may get caught out after dark I
often ( usually ) carry a dry bag with ice and a bottle of Henkel
Troken ) It works as well as Don. but costs a litle less.)
That fire starter and a warm evening it is the other and better part of
sea kayaking.
Training is a good thing too. It lets you learn not by doing foolish
things but by hearing from other ( More skilled ) people that have
sucked themselves into doing foolish things, seen other people do dumb
ass stuff or researched idiotic things that other paddlers have
experienced and not survived.
Take care
Enjoy the world greatest sport
Alex