posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
VK1NF

Default Essential Kit

We always - and I mean always - carry a dry bag which contains personal
emergency gear. Ours have a full change of clothes - mostly thrift store
wool, poly fleeces, etc - good hats and gloves, old running shoes, a
windproof nylon shell outer layer, basic shelter makings (polyethelene sheet
or Tyvek), fire making materials, repair stuff (duct tape, knife, twine,
etc.) and personal gear like spare glasses/essential meds/etc. The bags are
stowed in the toe of the cockpit - if worse comes to worst, and you're
forced to abandon the boat, you can grab the bag, get ashore, and survive.
BTW - your post didn't mention any sort of thermal protection - I
imagine your waters are also dangerously cold - do you use wet or dry suits?
If not, give it some very serious thought - don't think I'd last 10-15
minutes in our winter water here without good thermal protection.
"muzz"
Delete NOSPAM to reply to