Roos Eisma

"Muzz" writes:

Hi, I have just been looking into getting into kayaking, I live in the
Highlands and like cycling and hillwalking. I am not a big fan of water
sports or swimming but a few years ago I did a kayaking course in a local
pool and a trip to Gairloch kayaking in the sea for a day. Although I
enjoyed it I never got around to doing anymore. I still don't like swimming
( I am not a good swimmer ) but would like to do some more kayaking.
As I checked the Scottish Canoe Association website I let out a Homer
Simpson type "Doh" when I read this.
Love the water
Preferably you should be able to swim 50 metres fully clothed. Although
canoeing is carried out on the water and not in it, most people are
attracted to canoeing by a love of water.

Do I need to get into swimming first ?

I am very much not a water lover and though it doesn't stop me paddling
(started off flat water paddling, then river paddling, now sea kayaking)
it has slowed my progress and has at times spoilt my fun.
For example, I had the basic movement of rolling down very quickly, but
getting enough confidence under water to practice further and to learn to
stay long enough in the boat to actually roll has taken a long time, and
involved diving masks and aids like that.
Fear of flipping stops me from playing as much as other people and
therefore I don't learn as fast. And it's an unreasonable fear, I have a
very solid roll. Moving water and waves freak me out. Etcetera.

But I just take it easy, I don't push my limits. And it's worth it :-)

Roos

In the pool I use a mask all the time. Chlorine kills my eyes and nose.
I don't like fresh water, ponds and rivers, either. Salt water I find
fine and it actually feels nice when it is not 2 or 4 Degrees C ( or
worse sub zero.)
I have a strong roll 12 or 13 in 30 seconds in a partly loaded boat. (
A foolish contest but I won). Once you get a roll it is largely a
decision not to swim that will keep you in the boat.
Waves are fun ( or will be for you eventually ) Moving water is simply
your perspective on the water. The water is a medium you are in , When
you flip just wait till the boat and the water are going at the same
pace and it is no longer moving water, not as far as you and your boat
are concerned. That is when you do a nice set up and flick it up. I
choke up on the paddle a bit to get more extension when I think nature
is conspiring against me and in a pinch with a loaded sea kayak or a re
entry roll I go right to an extended paddle roll.. That one is good for
breaking paddles. ( I have learned, Do the extended roll slowly.)
Good luck.
If you don't panic it will be fine.
Swimming is usefull but more as a confidence thing than a nessesary
life saving skill. your BA or PFD are your best friend if you swim like
me.
Insane as this sounds I have also dove scube..

Muzz

Well today I went to the pool and manages 4 lengths without stopping and
then another sixteen with breaks to catch my breath. It seemed a lot easier
as I was doing it for a reason, I kept telling myself it's useful for
kayaking.
Anyway have a look at this
http://www.useakayak.org/reflec_rolling_5_02.html

--
Muzz
send mail to muzzmackay@'7thletterof thealphabet'mail.com

Peter Clinch

Muzz wrote:
Well today I went to the pool and manages 4 lengths without stopping and
then another sixteen with breaks to catch my breath. It seemed a lot easier
as I was doing it for a reason, I kept telling myself it's useful for
kayaking.

It's easier if it's for a reason is in line with my findings too.
Years ago my brother entered me in a mini-triathlon, starting with
a 500m swim. I went to the local pool and was /finished/ after
300m. I said I'd have to drop out, I was told I'd damn well come
and fail in person, so I went along in no expectation of finishing
the swim, but did it easily (okay, I was last out of the pool, but
I felt fine). two thirds further than I thought I was capable of,
just because there was an event going on with some pride at stake.

Anyway have a look at this
http://www.useakayak.org/reflec_rolling_5_02.html

Interetsing article. Quite a few folk who have joined up with my
club (Tayside Sea) do seem to be pretty focused, at the expense of
just about anything else, on learning rolling. Try and get folk on
their pool sessions to get into forward paddling is difficult.
Forward paddling in a sea boat is by far the most important stroke
as it makes up the great majority of the strokes you do. If you
don't have fair technique you'll get tired very quickly, and good
forward paddling provides a lot of the stability that makes most
rolls unnecessary to start with, but not many newbies seem to be
very interested in it at first.

As an aside, if you want to learn a reliable roll that will work
"in anger" in the sea, surfing is good IME. Not so much a case of
/if/ you'll go over, but *when*, plus you'll have to learn to cope
with it at some point anyway...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

This deserves a string of its own. I have never failed a needed roll
but have bailed for other reasons ( and One realy stupid one ) Not
wanting to be dragged over pointy rocks by a boat with 400+- KG of
boyancy.
Also the finest most skilled paddler I know had to swim in frigid water
once not because a roll would not work but because it would not work
under a motor boat. I think it was earlier that day that he said "I
don't swim!!!"
Muzz If I start that string can you put the link on rolling in . Thanks

Alex

Bernie Inakayak

Hi,

This is my first post here.

Thanks for the article about rolling Muzz, there was another article
there about how not to dislocate your shoulder. The guy who writes it
is very insistent, but you can see why. I am glad I read it, and I am
looking forward to the article that tells you how to roll up when you
are "beached", which is apparently one way you are likely to injure
yourself.

I am pretty new to kayaking but I have always swum a fair bit, and swum
underwater too, snorkelling and stuff. It does surprise me that people
who aren't really comfortable swimming are happy and competent
kayakers, but kayaking is often surprising, not quite what I expect,
which is one reason I like it.

Anyway, hello.

Bernie

Peter Clinch

Bernie Inakayak wrote:

It does surprise me that people
who aren't really comfortable swimming are happy and competent
kayakers

In a great many paddling situations there's no great likelihood of going
over (also the case with sailing), so being in the boat removes the need
to be swimming!

Strange But True factoid at a tangent:historically, many fishermen never
learned to swim as the culture said something like that if God decided
to claim them then he would do it through the sea, and that God should
not be fought. If you don't fall in, there's nothing to be afraid of,
of course...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Here in Newfoundland most ( almost all ) fishermen have no clue how to
swim. The water temperature is much to cold to do the likes of that for
fun.
Most don't wear BA's but rather oil skins and rubber boots. Again a
cultural thing.

Bernie Inakayak

In a great many paddling situations there's no great likelihood of going
over

I seem to be able to manage it regardless of the conditions Peter. In
fact somebody at my kayak club commented that I am far too fond of
swimming! Maybe there is some truth in that: I am a beginner at
kayaking, but I don't mind throwing myself into it as I am not much
concerned about the consequences of a capsize.

Bernie

Peter Clinch

Bernie Inakayak wrote:

I seem to be able to manage it regardless of the conditions Peter. In
fact somebody at my kayak club commented that I am far too fond of
swimming! Maybe there is some truth in that: I am a beginner at
kayaking, but I don't mind throwing myself into it as I am not much
concerned about the consequences of a capsize.

Depends on exactly what you're doing and where as to whether it's going
to be a problem. Sailing past the last safe takeout before a grade 6
Daft Thing because you're underwater and thus not in control is a rather
different matter to going over playing polo in a pool, for example...

Though if you routinely go over in /any/ conditions on a routine basis
it suggests you may be in a boat that's not very well suited to your
experience/requirements.

Pete.