Muzz

Default Water Lovers ?

Hi, I have just been looking into getting into kayaking, I live in the
Highlands and like cycling and hillwalking. I am not a big fan of water
sports or swimming but a few years ago I did a kayaking course in a local
pool and a trip to Gairloch kayaking in the sea for a day. Although I
enjoyed it I never got around to doing anymore. I still don't like swimming
( I am not a good swimmer ) but would like to do some more kayaking.
As I checked the Scottish Canoe Association website I let out a Homer
Simpson type "Doh" when I read this.
Love the water
Preferably you should be able to swim 50 metres fully clothed. Although
canoeing is carried out on the water and not in it, most people are
attracted to canoeing by a love of water.

Do I need to get into swimming first ?

--
Muzz
send mail to

Kegs

"Muzz" writes:

Love the water
Preferably you should be able to swim 50 metres fully clothed. Although
canoeing is carried out on the water and not in it, most people are
attracted to canoeing by a love of water.

Do I need to get into swimming first ?

You don't necessarily need to "get into" swimming, but, yeah, take the
time to learn how to swim better, as Kayaking is a water sport if
something happens and you capsize being able to swim, and being
comfortable being in the water is helpful, not to mention safer
for you and anyone with you.

It is especially important if you want to do any whitewater
kayaking or surf kayaking.

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

Do something unusual today. Pay a bill.

Gairloch. Great, I grew up there..
You don't need to swim a lick to paddle. You do need to wear a BA or
PFD.
I think I may be able to swim 20 feet fully clothed. I kayak like crazy
and don't worry about it.
I am a kayaker and a very poor swimmer, I am a paratrooper too. I know
I cant fly!
Here hypothermia is a much bigger problem than drowning. I don't go
near a kayak without a wet suit and Boiyancy Aid ( BA ) or Persomal
Floatation Device ( PFD )
I instruct kayaking and open boat canoeing ( Canadian Canoe ) You must
be comfortable around, in and under the water to truly enjoy the sport.

I would recommend you enjoy the sport but be aware of your limitations.

Kayaking is a superb activity. Enjoy.
Helensburg used to have an outdoor swimming pool by the peir. God that
water was cold.
Alex McGruer
http://pages.ivillage.com.mcgruer

Ewan Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Long paddle from Gairloch to Helensburgh :-)

Ewan Scott

Its been a long time. I should learn to spell too. : - ))
Beautiful place.
I sailed more than paddled there.

Ewan Scott

wrote in message
ups.com...
Its been a long time. I should learn to spell too. : - ))
Beautiful place.
I sailed more than paddled there.

Both wonderful places. My first paddling was at Gairloch, out round Lunga
Island where we dived into the weed to collect sea urchins.

Ewan Scott

My mistake. Gareloch, Next to Helensburgh ( I missed the spelling on
that too.) I was 10 when I left living in Clynder and Roseneath. I have
been back a couple of times but most of my family has passed on.
Lunga Island is what woke me up. I know the immediate area well and
that threw me so i had to check. Dyslexia is a wondrous thing.

Muzz

Ah yes I have been to Gareloch too aswell as Gairloch. The former seems to
get even more rain than the more northerly Gairloch !
Anyway, it's a small world and all that... My wife took the kids swimming
and bumped into a guy that I used to go hillwalking and cycling with a few
years back, he now goes sea kayaking.

I phoned him right away and went out to his house, he has two sea kayaks and
has invited me to go out with him, I was working night shift so couldn't go
immediatley but I will phone him to organise an outing another day.

Even stanger... While I was at work the wife got a call from one of her old
workmates who now lives in Stornaway, when she mentioned what I had been up
to she was told that her friends husband does sea kayaking and that his
brother is president of Inverness Canoe Club

I'm going to get in touch with the club, they do pool sessions throughout
the winter. I'll work on my swimming too :-)

--
Muzz
send mail to muzzmackay@'7thletterof thealphabet'mail.com

Peter Clinch

Muzz wrote:

Do I need to get into swimming first ?

Up to a point, but not necessarily more than that. You need to be
able to /deal/ with being in the water with reasonable confidence
and calmness, even in potentially nasty situations.

Swimming in a BA and wetsuit (or even more so in a drysuit) isn't
much like swimming like you'd learn in a swimming class. On the
one hand the extra buoyancy means you can't sink but on the other
it makes any sort of rapid progress bloody awkward! But you could
well need to tow a boat while you're in the water and if it's sea
paddling you're looking at then you'll need to maneuver around in
the water in order to get rescue techniques carried out. This
doesn't require much swimming technique, but it does require you to
be able to keep your head and do what you're told while being cold,
wet and possibly scared. If you can swim 50m in clothes you're
more likley to have this level of basic confidence.

Aside from that, any extra level of swimming ability certainly
won't /hurt/ if you spend your time around nice water areas,
especially if they have strong rip tides. Plus the arm exercise
probably won't do your paddling any harm.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

I have another twist for a dry suit and those wearing it. Information
gleaned from am MED ( Marine Emergency Duties ) Course showed that if
you don't bleed off the air it can pool at the feet and legs if you
enter the water head first. ( Exiting an overturned kayak may be the
recipe for that ) you can be suspended upside down , feet in the air
head under water. Should this happen the answer is to go into a fetal
possition , hug your legs squeezing air out to other parts of the suit
and make a vicious breast stroke for the surface. It works.
Learning to swim is always an asset, I am a poor swimmer. I would never
disuade anyone from kayaking because they can't swim. Having a cool
head is important, knowing how to swim may help here but it is harfdly
nessesary.
Peter is of course right in that it can't hurt and will improve other
aspects of life.