Ewan Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gairloch. Great, I grew up there..
You don't need to swim a lick to paddle. You do need to wear a BA or
PFD.
I think I may be able to swim 20 feet fully clothed. I kayak like crazy
and don't worry about it.
I am a kayaker and a very poor swimmer, I am a paratrooper too. I know
I cant fly!
Here hypothermia is a much bigger problem than drowning. I don't go
near a kayak without a wet suit and Boiyancy Aid ( BA ) or Persomal
Floatation Device ( PFD )
I instruct kayaking and open boat canoeing ( Canadian Canoe ) You must
be comfortable around, in and under the water to truly enjoy the sport.

I would recommend you enjoy the sport but be aware of your limitations.

Kayaking is a superb activity. Enjoy.
Helensburg used to have an outdoor swimming pool by the peir. God that
water was cold.
Alex McGruer
http://pages.ivillage.com.mcgruer

Long paddle from Gairloch to Helensburgh :-)

Ewan Scott