Roos Eisma

"Muzz" writes:

Hi, I have just been looking into getting into kayaking, I live in the
Highlands and like cycling and hillwalking. I am not a big fan of water
sports or swimming but a few years ago I did a kayaking course in a local
pool and a trip to Gairloch kayaking in the sea for a day. Although I
enjoyed it I never got around to doing anymore. I still don't like swimming
( I am not a good swimmer ) but would like to do some more kayaking.
As I checked the Scottish Canoe Association website I let out a Homer
Simpson type "Doh" when I read this.
Love the water
Preferably you should be able to swim 50 metres fully clothed. Although
canoeing is carried out on the water and not in it, most people are
attracted to canoeing by a love of water.

Do I need to get into swimming first ?

I am very much not a water lover and though it doesn't stop me paddling
(started off flat water paddling, then river paddling, now sea kayaking)
it has slowed my progress and has at times spoilt my fun.
For example, I had the basic movement of rolling down very quickly, but
getting enough confidence under water to practice further and to learn to
stay long enough in the boat to actually roll has taken a long time, and
involved diving masks and aids like that.
Fear of flipping stops me from playing as much as other people and
therefore I don't learn as fast. And it's an unreasonable fear, I have a
very solid roll. Moving water and waves freak me out. Etcetera.

But I just take it easy, I don't push my limits. And it's worth it :-)

Roos