In the pool I use a mask all the time. Chlorine kills my eyes and nose.
I don't like fresh water, ponds and rivers, either. Salt water I find
fine and it actually feels nice when it is not 2 or 4 Degrees C ( or
worse sub zero.)
I have a strong roll 12 or 13 in 30 seconds in a partly loaded boat. (
A foolish contest but I won). Once you get a roll it is largely a
decision not to swim that will keep you in the boat.
Waves are fun ( or will be for you eventually ) Moving water is simply
your perspective on the water. The water is a medium you are in , When
you flip just wait till the boat and the water are going at the same
pace and it is no longer moving water, not as far as you and your boat
are concerned. That is when you do a nice set up and flick it up. I
choke up on the paddle a bit to get more extension when I think nature
is conspiring against me and in a pinch with a loaded sea kayak or a re
entry roll I go right to an extended paddle roll.. That one is good for
breaking paddles. ( I have learned, Do the extended roll slowly.)
Good luck.
If you don't panic it will be fine.
Swimming is usefull but more as a confidence thing than a nessesary
life saving skill. your BA or PFD are your best friend if you swim like
me.
Insane as this sounds I have also dove scube..