Bub

Default GPS Advice

Hello,
Can anyone give me an opinion or opinions on a GPS? I'm not looking for a
Cadillac. Just something that is waterproof, Tells me where I am, how to get
home, how fast I got here, how long it took. And most of all, cheap. Under
$150?
Thanks, Bub

I bought my first GPS about a 9 months ago. The two major brands are
Garmin and Magellan. However, after a lot of research, I purchased a
Lowrance iFinder H20. It can be found for about $150.00 and ex Gramin
and Magellan users that I talked too, swear by Lowrance. It's quick to
find it's position, works well under heavy tree and cloud cover, has
god battery life (10 to 12 hours on 2 AA batts), reasonably good built
in maps with exceptional maps and charts available as an additional
purchase. The buttons are a little confusing at first but can be
learned without too much trouble.

The thing I most don't like about it (Lowrance claimes it's a benefit)
is the way you load maps from the mapping software. The memory chip
must be removed from under the batteries and placed in a USB card
reader. Lowrance claims that if it was done through a serial cable it
would take way too long due to the huge amout of detail.

The H20model claims to be waterproof, but the most I have tested it is
to use it in the rain. It got wet and kept on working.

Don Freeman

wrote in message
oups.com...

The thing I most don't like about it (Lowrance claimes it's a benefit)
is the way you load maps from the mapping software. The memory chip
must be removed from under the batteries and placed in a USB card
reader. Lowrance claims that if it was done through a serial cable it
would take way too long due to the huge amout of detail.

I can transfer maps using either option with the Magellan Meridian. But
after doing it both ways I MUCH prefer removing the batteries to get the
memory chip out for the USB option. The serial cable took way too long and
would use up most of the juice in a set of new batteries. So maybe Lowrance
is correct in their assertion that it is a benefit G.

BTW even though my GPS is rated as waterproof and floats as well, I still
use a GPS sized drybag for it when out on the water. Why risk it?

Keenan & Julie

in article ,
at wrote on 6/22/05 7:42 PM:

[...]

Whoaaa...10-12 hours of battery life?

My Garmin chews up batteries at an unbelievable pace. The Energizer Bunny
goes to sleep pretty quick with it, I don't think I've ever had the
batteries last more than 8 hours.

GPS units have improved tremendously in the last two years from what I've
seen. Yours sounds like an amazing deal for $150. My wife bought mine as a
present so I don't know exactly, but I think it was at least 3 times that
much.

Hi Bub

Something really basic like the Garmin eTrex is waterproof to IEC 529
IPX7 standards, and gives you basic trip data like current/Average
Speed, Distance covered etc. There's no mapping on the device, but it
can give you your position in a number of diffrerent formats to be
referenced against a chart.

Owen
Product Manager
www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

YooNoo LTD

MikeSoja

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:33:36 -0400, Keenan & Julie
posted:

in article ,
at
wrote on 6/22/05 7:42 PM:

[...]

My Garmin Rino 110 gets around 12 hours on its three AA batteries.
The manual says it should go for 41 hours on GPS only, but that's
somewhat irrationally optimistic, as I see it.

My 110 was a gift, and it turns out it does what I need it to
(making "tracks" for mapping my paddling excursions on the
computer), but if I were to be looking to purchase one again I'd
look at something else. The map is extremely lo-res to the point of
being useless. It's not particularly quick in finding itself in a
new location. It does poorly in the woods. The screen menu
selectors are hard to read in just about any light. And when one
saves a track (in order to clear the 'Active Log') not all the
original data is saved. Time is dropped, so one cannot later
recalculate speed. The only way around it is to off-load the
'Active Log' track data after every trip.

Other than that, it's fantastic.

Mike Soja

Keenan & Julie

wrote on 6/22/05 7:42 PM:

[...]

Mine only takes 2 batteries, that's why I was so impressed with the other
guy's 2 battery model lasting so long.

Peter

Keenan & Julie wrote:
"MikeSoja" wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:33:36 -0400, Keenan & Julie
posted:

The H20model claims to be waterproof, but the most I have tested it is
to use it in the rain. It got wet and kept on working.

Whoaaa...10-12 hours of battery life?

My Garmin chews up batteries at an unbelievable pace. The Energizer Bunny
goes to sleep pretty quick with it, I don't think I've ever had the
batteries last more than 8 hours.

My Garmin Rino 110 gets around 12 hours on its three AA batteries.
The manual says it should go for 41 hours on GPS only, but that's
somewhat irrationally optimistic, as I see it.

Mine only takes 2 batteries, that's why I was so impressed with the other
guy's 2 battery model lasting so long.

It would be more informative if you indicated what model you're using
and also if you have any optional functions (esp. magnetic compass
and/or backlight) turned on.
I get about 14 hours per charge on the pair of NiMH cells in the Garmin
eMap I've had for over 5 years and their latest color models are much
more battery conserving. The 60c is rated at 30 hours and with lithium
cells has been reported to actually last much longer (record I've seen
was over 60 hours). With a pair of alkaline or NiMH cells it gets about
the rated time as long as the backlight is hardly used.

Mark

Keenan & Julie wrote:

Whoaaa...10-12 hours of battery life?

My Garmin chews up batteries at an unbelievable pace. The Energizer Bunny
goes to sleep pretty quick with it, I don't think I've ever had the
batteries last more than 8 hours.

GPS units have improved tremendously in the last two years from what I've
seen. Yours sounds like an amazing deal for $150. My wife bought mine as a
present so I don't know exactly, but I think it was at least 3 times that
much.

If your Garmin is like my etrex, it has two modes -- Normal and Battery
Save. If memory serves, in the battery save mode, it takes readings at
fewer intervals than in normal mode, which extends battery life. Since I
generally use mine in the vehicle, I have it on normal mode, but the few
times that I used Battery Save mode, it appeared to extend the battery
life significantly.

However, thank you for reminding me. I'm going out for some hiking this
weekend, and now I will remember to reset the mode.

Keenan & Julie

in article , Peter at
wrote on 6/23/05 12:40 PM:

Keenan & Julie wrote:
"MikeSoja" wrote in message

[...]

I could be more informative, but then I might end up in one of these tedious
conversations about technical minutiae that tend to plague this group and
that other group where mostly the exact same messages are posted (why is
that?). I can tell you I don't have the backlight turned on :-)

Advice Wanted Chris Boat Building 0 June 20th 04 12:26 PM
ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice Jim General 31 April 15th 04 02:22 AM
Sailing Advice, what not to do josh ASA 4 January 10th 04 04:26 AM
Prop Size - Advice on Advice? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 December 31st 03 04:17 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 07:04 PM