Mark

Keenan & Julie wrote:

Whoaaa...10-12 hours of battery life?

My Garmin chews up batteries at an unbelievable pace. The Energizer Bunny
goes to sleep pretty quick with it, I don't think I've ever had the
batteries last more than 8 hours.

GPS units have improved tremendously in the last two years from what I've
seen. Yours sounds like an amazing deal for $150. My wife bought mine as a
present so I don't know exactly, but I think it was at least 3 times that
much.

If your Garmin is like my etrex, it has two modes -- Normal and Battery
Save. If memory serves, in the battery save mode, it takes readings at
fewer intervals than in normal mode, which extends battery life. Since I
generally use mine in the vehicle, I have it on normal mode, but the few
times that I used Battery Save mode, it appeared to extend the battery
life significantly.

However, thank you for reminding me. I'm going out for some hiking this
weekend, and now I will remember to reset the mode.