Chris

Default Advice Wanted

Need some advice on what type of materials to use or procedure I should
follow to restore this little project of mine. Have I thrown myself into the
deep?

Please refer to the jpg files located at
http://members.aardvark.net.au/chris/boat

Wooden hul with fiberglass coating.... I have basically removed the cabin
and stripped the internal hull bare of all fixtures as seen in the June
pics. I have also had to remove the rear as when it was "previously
restored" the drainage holes near the bottom and also for the trough at the
back were not sealed and have rotted the whole rear.

The shell ply seems quite solid, no cracks in the fibreglass I will have to
replace a few of the main ribs. These seem to have been replaced before but
not with the corect wood and have some rott.

It seems that most of the "original" timber is fine... a few sections of the
internal horizontal strips/ribs (not sure of terminology) have a bit of dry
rot but the ply is fine.

I am not looking for a 50 year solution as it is just a good project for a
first timer... If I get 2 or 3 seasons out of it I will be happy.

Questions:

* What types of wood should I using and for what parts?
* What should I be doing first? (please don't tell me to get the gasoline
can and a match)
* What is the best solution for flotation foam?
* Any tips on what type of cabin to rebuild on it?

I have salvaged the cost of the boat in the hardware pulled off it: an ample
number brass screws & hinges from the interior, Window frames, Steering
column and cable to the rear of the boat, oars, anchor, latches, hooks, and
other paraphenalia....

Cheap solutions will be muchly appreciated.

Thanx in advance !

Chris.
.*no.*spam

BTW: Any advice given and taken aboard (no pun intended) will be duely
noted and I will keep the pics up to date in the web address above. I should
have a front page up there soon with text.