Don Freeman

"Mark Sprague" wrote in message
Another way to look at it. That guy in the SUV is paying road use taxes
with every gallon of gasoline that he buys. The bicyclist isn't paying
his way.

I (as a bicyclist) am not producing the stress on the highways that an SUV
(or any other vehicle of significant weight) causes which necessitate the
repairs that road use taxes are earmarked for.

Grumman-581

"Don Freeman" wrote in message
I (as a bicyclist) am not producing the stress on the highways that an

SUV
(or any other vehicle of significant weight) causes which necessitate the
repairs that road use taxes are earmarked for.

Awh, hell, ya' don't think you put stress on the road when you and your bike
are ground into the pavement by the cell-phone-talkin' soccer mom in her
SUV?

Don Freeman

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"Don Freeman" wrote in message
I (as a bicyclist) am not producing the stress on the highways that an

SUV
(or any other vehicle of significant weight) causes which necessitate the
repairs that road use taxes are earmarked for.

Awh, hell, ya' don't think you put stress on the road when you and your
bike
are ground into the pavement by the cell-phone-talkin' soccer mom in her
SUV?

I suppose I will get sent a bill, after all she (and the BMW driving male
working his PDA) has the right to drive without being impeded by other users
of the road. Or at least that's the way it seems.

I have had my life threatened many more times by these types then by drunken
drivers.

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

In rec.boats.paddle Don Freeman wrote:

: ...
:
: I (as a bicyclist) am not producing the stress on the highways that an SUV
: (or any other vehicle of significant weight) causes which necessitate the
: repairs that road use taxes are earmarked for.

Most calculations for stress on highways start at 18k pounds per axle...
SUV's, like most cars and light trucks don't cause much damage except for
slowly rutting ashphalt roads...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Grumman-581

"Don Freeman" wrote in message
I have had my life threatened many more times by these types then by

drunken
drivers.

Yeah, drunken drivers are a lot safer -- they drive down the center of the
road...

Don Freeman

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" wrote in message
In rec.boats.paddle Don Freeman wrote:

: "Mark Sprague" wrote in message
: ...
: Another way to look at it. That guy in the SUV is paying road use taxes
: with every gallon of gasoline that he buys. The bicyclist isn't paying
: his way.
:
: I (as a bicyclist) am not producing the stress on the highways that an
SUV
: (or any other vehicle of significant weight) causes which necessitate
the
: repairs that road use taxes are earmarked for.

Most calculations for stress on highways start at 18k pounds per axle...
SUV's, like most cars and light trucks don't cause much damage except for
slowly rutting ashphalt roads...

That's not the case in the Pavement Management Systems (the acronym drove
the women in my office at the time crazy) that are used to determine
maintenance scheduling on city streets. Though, if I remember correctly the
emphasis was more on the amount of traffic then the weight of the vehicles.
But it doesn't take much extrapolation to assume that bicycles are not going
to produce the damage that the more massive vehicles are going to cause.
Got to admit I've only experience with one city's PMS (god I loved saying
that for some perverse reason) but its a fairly large one, San Mateo CA, so
don't think it is too atypical. Often the trucks of the size you mention
are not even allowed on them other then the arterial routes.

There was some ruckus in the news lately about the larger SUVs such as
Hummers, Expeditions, and Escalades exceeding the allowed weight on some
city streets. Haven't heard much more about it so it was probably just some
BS that the media jumped on during a slow news day.

Bob the Cow

"Steve Shank" wrote in message

Conservatives are the dinosaur in the story. They are unmovable, lazy
(they want no effort) and stupid. And I say stupid because in the end
their size will be their doom. They can't have fun without 260hp...

In that case, some of the most conservative people I know are liberals.

Yup. There are two kinds of people in the world: those who divide the world
up into two and only two categories, and everyone else.

Morten Reistad

In article ,
Bob the Cow wrote:

"Steve Shank" wrote in message

Conservatives are the dinosaur in the story. They are unmovable, lazy
(they want no effort) and stupid. And I say stupid because in the end
their size will be their doom. They can't have fun without 260hp...

In that case, some of the most conservative people I know are liberals.

Yup. There are two kinds of people in the world: those who divide the world
up into two and only two categories, and everyone else.

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who think in
binary, and all the others.

-- mrr

Limey

"Morten Reistad" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob the Cow wrote:

"Steve Shank" wrote in message

Conservatives are the dinosaur in the story. They are unmovable, lazy
(they want no effort) and stupid. And I say stupid because in the end
their size will be their doom. They can't have fun without 260hp...

In that case, some of the most conservative people I know are liberals.

Yup. There are two kinds of people in the world: those who divide the
world
up into two and only two categories, and everyone else.

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who think in
binary, and all the others.

You're all wrong!
There are three kinds of people in the world....those that can count and
those that can't.

LD.