donquijote1954

Default Are there Conservative Kayakers?

I wonder, you are down there in a humble kayak because you are not a
bully, you are at mercy of the elements and you have to use your brain
and skill to survive; and you believe in "smaller is better;" and you
see the ocean all polluted around you, stuff thrown overboard of
motorboats floating everywhere; and the motorboats whistle past you;
and there are no places to launch while there are many motorboat ramps;
and you see the shark always chasing the sardines... How can you be a
Conservative????

I mean, kayakers MUST be on the side of the sardines, and for change
and revolution!!!

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE=20
http://committed.to/justicefor=ADpeace

Frederick Burroughs

donquijote1954 wrote:

I wonder, you are down there in a humble kayak because you are not a
bully, you are at mercy of the elements and you have to use your brain
and skill to survive; and you believe in "smaller is better;" and you
see the ocean all polluted around you, stuff thrown overboard of
motorboats floating everywhere; and the motorboats whistle past you;
and there are no places to launch while there are many motorboat ramps;
and you see the shark always chasing the sardines... How can you be a
Conservative????

I mean, kayakers MUST be on the side of the sardines, and for change
and revolution!!!

There is a tv commercial for a model of Ford truck. Two guys in a
small imported pick-up are hauling a trailer full of canoes up a
mountain. The trailer breaks loose and careens back down the mountain.
The two guys jump out, t-shirt and shirt tails untucked, reeking of
unprofessionalism. They look with alarm and befuddlement as the
runaway boats gain speed and distance.

Back down on the main road a husband and wife drive their big Ford
truck to their vacation house on the lake. Behind them in-tow is a
beautiful, large and powerful wooden powerboat. The boat looks like a
piece of furniture in a museum, a work of art. Well-groomed, teeth
asparkle, not a hair or thread out of place, the couple cruise in
opulent luxury, not getting more than 5 miles per gallon.

Suddenly, the trailer load of canoes launches out of the woods to make
a smash and grab attack on their confident world. The husband swerves
quickly and nimbly, professionally, to avoid the attack. The canoes
miss their target and crash helter-skelter into the woods. The husband
and wife smile at each other, not a hair out of place, having avoided
the petty nuisances of the lower class. They continue, unruffled, to
their vacation house on the lake. Class has its privileges.

--
"This president has destroyed the country, the economy,
the relationship with the rest of the world.

- Hunter S. Thompson, speaking to an antiwar audience in 2003.

donquijote1954

Darwin proposed the "survival of the fittest." I think he also proposed
"size matters," though this may have been proposed by his wife. And
both laws fit our roads and waterways quite well.

Frederick Burroughs

donquijote1954 wrote:

Darwin proposed the "survival of the fittest." I think he also proposed
"size matters," though this may have been proposed by his wife. And
both laws fit our roads and waterways quite well.

Niche is as important, or more so than competition. While the bass
boaters are restricted to a two or three mile stretch of river behind
a dam, paddlers have a couple hundred miles of quiet, remotely
beautiful and largely unspoiled river.

But, that short stretch of river frequented by the bass fishermen is
an economic engine for the state, with boat registration, fishing
permits and fishing guide businesses.

Let the muthaboaters have their piers and concrete ramps. Paddlers are
happy to have a dirt or graveled pull-off from any state road that
runs near the water. There is little that can rival the beauty of
silently gliding on a waterway unassaulted by the hand and removed
from the noise of man. In fog-shrouded morning or gold and red-hued
evening, these quiet places become transcendent.

A canoe or kayak is the best time machine invented. It takes you into
the distant past (or far future, beyond the reign of man). It is not a
question of survival of the fittest. It becomes an appreciation of
aesthetics, an exercise of our brain's highest functions. No longer
anchored by primitive survival requirements, we progress into levels
of metaphysical beauty. We flow on currents of expanded consciousness.

--
"This president has destroyed the country, the economy,
the relationship with the rest of the world.
He's a monster in the White House. He should resign."

- Hunter S. Thompson, speaking to an antiwar audience in 2003.

Chris Guynn

"Frederick Burroughs" wrote in message
donquijote1954 wrote:

[...]

Have you ever considered strapping a tank to your back and checking out what
the surface of the water looks like from the other side? You might be
amazed. I've got limited kayaking experience, but I'd much rather swim with
the fishes.

Frederick Burroughs

Chris Guynn wrote:

Have you ever considered strapping a tank to your back and checking out what
the surface of the water looks like from the other side? You might be
amazed. I've got limited kayaking experience, but I'd much rather swim with
the fishes.

Never had the pleasure, largely because I don't get the chance.
Closest I got was snorkling in Key West. The rivers where I live are
very low volume, as in knee deep at best during the summer. Canoe and
kayak are best suited for the local aquatic niche. Scuba classes are
held in some of the local abandoned rock quarries, all on private
land. Much of the river banks snuggle up to National Forest, open to
public use and camping. So, I take advantage of what's in my backyard.
I can be on either the North or South Fork of the Shenandoah River
within 10 minutes from my home.

--
"This president has destroyed the country, the economy,
the relationship with the rest of the world.
He's a monster in the White House. He should resign."

- Hunter S. Thompson, speaking to an antiwar audience in 2003.

Frederick Burroughs

Grip wrote:

Yep sounds like a hunter and ward churchill fan all right

The river is my muse. I'd sing songs to her but she takes my breath away.

--
"This president has destroyed the country, the economy,
the relationship with the rest of the world.
He's a monster in the White House. He should resign."

- Hunter S. Thompson, speaking to an antiwar audience in 2003.

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

In rec.boats.paddle Chris Guynn wrote:
snip
: Have you ever considered strapping a tank to your back and checking out what
: the surface of the water looks like from the other side? You might be
: amazed. I've got limited kayaking experience, but I'd much rather swim with
: the fishes.

As I see schools of latex fishies passing me in my kayak, no, I have not
considered jumping in...

http://www.chicagopaddling.org/grandcalumetsign.jpg

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Matthias Voss

Chris Guynn wrote:

Have you ever considered strapping a tank to your back and checking out what
the surface of the water looks like from the other side? You might be
amazed. I've got limited kayaking experience, but I'd much rather swim with
the fishes.

Did, do both.
Kayaking is great, for the sport itself, for the social aspects, for the
nature experience.
There is wildlife and calmness above the surface, too.
You can take a small tent, mat, sleeping bag, something to cook, it,
catch fish, and vanish into wildlife. Only to meet dozens of others
doing the same, sometimes ;-)

Unfortunately there are not yet real camo kayaks. Too difficult melting
with the surface.

Matthias

PS: we take minor scuba equipment to learn rolls ;-)

Are there Conservative Kayakers? donquijote1954 General 41 September 9th 05 03:16 PM
Kayakers as Terrorists Bobo General 34 August 8th 04 01:37 PM
OT Conservative pigs! What do you think NOW? basskisser General 0 May 20th 04 05:27 PM