David Walker

Default Camping Equipment Recommendations?

Opps #*@x , I guess you can't access the foldingkayakadventure tarp picture directly . Try this link ,
then find the picture .

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Lyl...ck&AID=1191941

and have cookies enabled or click OK

David Walker wrote:

This type tarp would appear to be what is being used on a kayaking trip from foldingkayakadventures
web page :

http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewIma...1&IID=36872892

steveJ

That seems like a nice little unit.
Those photos of the bears are pretty incredible too.
Not sure I'd be so comfortable around grizzlys.

David Walker wrote:

This type tarp would appear to be what is being used on a kayaking trip from foldingkayakadventures
web page :

http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewIma...1&IID=36872892

heavyseve

I've been looking for tents and bags recently. I'm 6'1" but stockier than
tall. For 2 people tent, I ended up with a TNF Roadrunner 3. MSR's
Hammerhead 3 and REI's Taj 3 were also in the running. I didn't look at 4
person tents. I was able to catch a good sale at Campmor.

For my bag, I bought an REI Syn Cat 20 degree. The TNF Mammoth bag was still
too constraining to me. I also like the Big Agnes, which includes a 20in
mattress. But since I already had a 25 inch wide mattress, I went with the
Syn Cat.

"wpatrick" wrote in message
My wife and I are going to start camping from our kayaks. We have not

bought
camping gear in years and are looking for recommendations on makes,

models,
vendors... Keep in mind that I am 6'4" tall with size 14 shoes... I need a
bit more room than most folks.

We are especially interested in sleeping bags... Make/model... Temp range

Tents ... 4 person .... 3 season

Stoves

Lanterns

Sleeping mats, cots, inflatable mattresses

Anything else you can think of!

Kim

We use an MSR water filter which takes a bit of patience to pump a lot
of water, but it works fine.

-kim

Fred Klingener

Default parawings (was: Camping Equipment Recommendations?)

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
On 30-Jan-2004, "Fred Klingener" wrote:

I think a simple square of fabric supported across the diagonal

between
two trees and stretched across all four corners corners, two to the
trees and two to the ground, works almost as well and is much simpler

fabricate.

'Almost.' Which is the whole point. The square, rigged as you

describe, is
slack in the middle, will flap in the wind, and will collect rainwater

and
snow. Hence the interest in topology.

That's right. To convert a flat rectangle into a hyperbolic parabaloid
you have to get the fabric to sustain shear normal to the plane of the
fabric.

Typo? You mean shear in the plane?

You can do it with an elastic solid, but it just can't be done
with a fabric. Hence the cutting and shaping.

Most fabrics will shear to a degree, coated fabrics somewhat less, but you
also need differential stretch. You have use Lycra (do they make waterproof
Lycra?) or else preset the deformation pattern you need with kite-shaped
tiles.

Do you know of a commercial wing that has it right? Any I've seen have the
right ad copy but are flat-cut.

Fred Klingener

Gary S.

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:15:12 GMT, "Fred Klingener"
wrote:

Do you know of a commercial wing that has it right? Any I've seen have the
right ad copy but are flat-cut.

The MSR ones (originally designed by Moss) have the complex shape
design you are talking about, and the manufacturing quality to execute
it well.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Mike McCrea

"Fred Klingener" wrote in message m...

AFAICFigure it, no commercial wing gets 2.) right. If you do get it right,
the thing won't lie flat on the ground, and it's troublesome to fold, but
once it's up, it's a marvel of set-it-and-forget-it comfort even in some
pretty terrible conditions.

I'm feeling pretty good about having bought a relatively inexpensive
($80) no-name Campmor wing 4 or 5 years ago. Campmor doesn't seem to
sell that 'wing anymore (I don't see it in their catelogue anyway);
too bad, 'cause I believe they got it right.

The one we have is a simple 16x16 and it does everything you say about
a correctly designed parawing. It's drum tight when erected properly,
ain't no way it'll lay flat on the ground (it is more or less
impossible to fold up; we usually fold it about half way and then just
kinda crunch and stuff).

I'm sold on the functionality of a parawing though, and can't imagine
going back to a flat tarp*. The only downside I've found to a parawing
is the reduction of covered space due to the shape and necessity to
have two corners set low - I find our 16x16 provides just enough space
for four people, a kitchen area and a small bit of gear.

* Although we still carry a blue poly 8x10 piece of junk for rough
uses I wouldn't subject our 'wing to, using the poly job as a cover
for the woodpile, or ground tarp for staging gear when packing or
unpacking, or set up vertically as a windbreak...
wpatrick

On 1/27/04 15:05, in article ,
"wpatrick" wrote:

My wife and I are going to start camping from our kayaks. We have not bought
camping gear in years and are looking for recommendations on makes, models,
vendors... Keep in mind that I am 6'4" tall with size 14 shoes... I need a
bit more room than most folks.

We are especially interested in sleeping bags... Make/model... Temp range

Tents ... 4 person .... 3 season

Stoves

Lanterns

Sleeping mats, cots, inflatable mattresses

Anything else you can think of!

Thanks to all for your great recommendations. I think we are leaning toward
a high quality 3 season / 4 person tent with foot print, 20 degree mummy
bags, a couple of different size tarps made from materials purchased from
Seattle Fabric, Svea 123 stove, candle lanterns, etc.

This gives us what we believe will be a good camping package that will pack
easily into our two boats (Prijon Kodiak and Seayak) with plenty of room for
water, fuel, and food.

Gary S.

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:39:15 -0800, wpatrick
wrote:

On 1/27/04 15:05, in article ,
"wpatrick" wrote:

My wife and I are going to start camping from our kayaks. We have not bought
camping gear in years and are looking for recommendations on makes, models,
vendors... Keep in mind that I am 6'4" tall with size 14 shoes... I need a
bit more room than most folks.

Thanks to all for your great recommendations. I think we are leaning toward
a high quality 3 season / 4 person tent with foot print, 20 degree mummy
bags, a couple of different size tarps made from materials purchased from
Seattle Fabric, Svea 123 stove, candle lanterns, etc.

This gives us what we believe will be a good camping package that will pack
easily into our two boats (Prijon Kodiak and Seayak) with plenty of room for
water, fuel, and food.

For the tents you are considering, note that some have longer pole
sections, and might not fit well through deck hatches. Weight and
performance matter, but for kayaking, size and shape in relation to
how you load gear can matter. Bicycle tourists who camp have similar
concerns, although not as extreme.