Carl Buehler

Default Deck Storage Suggestions

I have been reading about gear needed for a touring expedition. I have
seen some of these waterproof bags that mount to the deck areas of
kayaks. they seem like a good idea. I realize that you should not have
to much gear on the deck for this would raise the center of gravity
and possibly cause a capsize.

But what are some opinions of list members when packing for a touring
trip?
What are the best items for leaving topside. I have done extended
canoe trips. And also many Backpacking miles on the AT. Always lived
by the rule of,
"If you do not use it every day, you do not need it." But it seems
logical to keep most often used items topside?
akasharkbow

(Carl Buehler) wrote in
om:

I have been reading about gear needed for a touring expedition. I have
seen some of these waterproof bags that mount to the deck areas of
kayaks. they seem like a good idea. I realize that you should not have
to much gear on the deck for this would raise the center of gravity
and possibly cause a capsize.

But what are some opinions of list members when packing for a touring
trip?
What are the best items for leaving topside. I have done extended
canoe trips. And also many Backpacking miles on the AT. Always lived
by the rule of,
"If you do not use it every day, you do not need it." But it seems
logical to keep most often used items topside?

Hello there. Great question. I am interested in what other people do. I
currently don't pack anything on my deck. I like the look of a clean
deck. The only thing there is a spare paddle on the rear deck.

I pack all my rescue gear (pump, paddlefloat) under my skirt in the
cockpit. I moved it down there to keep things from getting washed off as
well, I won't really need them unless I am floating in the water.

I work at a camping store where we sell the deck bags. I like them and
they have their place. I think that if you can make it work, go for it.
Just remember, that they are waterproof but not submursable so I wouldn't
trust an SLR cammera in them. You will need to go with a pelican case for
that.

There is another option that you could use. There are several under-the-
deck nets and containers that get mounted up under the deck around your
feet. I think that they are quite good. More difficult to get to but the
centre of gravity is much lower.

That is my 2 cents.

Cheers,

David H. Johnston
Peter Unold

Hi Paddlers

On 5 Oct 2003 02:12:46 -0700, Carl Buehler
wrote:
[...]
But what are some opinions of list members when packing for a touring
trip?
What are the best items for leaving topside. I have done extended
canoe trips. And also many Backpacking miles on the AT. Always lived
by the rule of,
"If you do not use it every day, you do not need it." But it seems
logical to keep most often used items topside?

I have a couple of times been forced to store items on the deck, since I'm
paddling a low volume kayak. This has been in connection with wintertrips,
where my sleepingbag and warm clothes was eating up a lot of space. These
times I've put my tent in a heavy duty dryback on the aftdeck. This
arrangement has been quite handy, as in the winter I prefer to put up my
tent the moment I hit land. Likewise in the morning, I pull down the tent
as the last thing before leaving. I never felt the increased windage was a
problem.
I have since then become better at packing my kayak, so even during
wintertrips I can now keep all my gear below deck.

Good packing techniques seems to come harder than good paddling
techniques...

regards Peter at 56°10.18'N 10°12.00'E
Ki Ayker

I really don't like anything on my deck except my water bottle, and
occasionally a chart and a compass. That said, these days I paddle a very low
volume kayak in which I can fit pretty much nothing inside the cockpit besides
myself. So I have a deck bag in which I carry my water bottle, pump, throw/tow
rope, a webbing loop for loop rescues, a baggie for on the water bladder
relief, a paddling jacket (if I'm not wearing it) and snacks and such. I no
longer carry a paddlefloat as I find it overly redundant for my own particular
case.
I suppose technically having a deck bag can raise the center of gravity of
the boat some, but I sure haven't felt it. And while the bag is waterproof, I
never think of it as such and don't put anything in it that I am concerned
about getting wet unless it is in a separate waterproof bag within the deckbag.

Scott
So.Cal.

Carl Buehler

Thanks for the comments guys. I am asking because I am planning a 5 to
6
day tour through the Everglades Wilderness Waterway at Christmas this
year.
So I am trying to get some ideas on how to pack for this trip. I have
a Perception Eclipse 14.5, so I have to make good use of the dry
storage areas that I have (7050 cubic inches). So I am sure I will
have a few things
topside, but want to keep it to a minimum. I agree with keeping the
deck
from getting to cluttered. Seems to be a fair amount of room behind
the seat.
I would like to take advantage of that space. Is there away to attach
a strap
to secure a dry box and maybe a small standing dry bag or two?

CB
doug m

Major issue on this trip will be fresh water. There is none available
after you leave either Chockoloskee or Flamingo. Figuring at least a
gallon per day (I've seen recommendations as high as 2 gallons per day),
this will chew up a lot of space. You want the water close to the
center of the boat and low to keep center of grav low. With that much
ballast, don't worry too much about whats on the deck (within reason).
Have done 3 one-week trips through the Everglades (prefer the north end
of Park, but there is much to see everywhere, you'll want your
binoculars on deck or close at hand), and have found that my boat is
stuffed full and that I literally eat and drink my way down into the
boat through the course of the week.

Suggest getting all your gear together, including water and a guess at
the food, and packing it in the boat on your living room (or garage)
floor. A glass or two of wine and a little bit of time may help you see
ways to pack and spaced you are not fully utilizing (.e.g., the area
between your legs high up beneath the deck...a custom bag can be fitted
here to hold charts, etc). Try using bladders from box wine to hold
water. These are remarkably tough and you can even sit on one as a
replacement seat.

If weather is good, I like the beach area better than the "inside". 60+
miles of whitesand beach and warm water for camping and you can't see
the next campfire. Clearly, don't swim in fresh water (the aligators
love the Watson Place).

One last tip. Since fresh water is rare in the 'Glades, but probing
mammals are not, you should bring your water into the tent at night.
Otherwise, the water bags may be chewed into by rats or possums or
whatever that are looking for water. Two days out and no water to drink
is no fun.

Its a great trip! Have fun!

doug m