doug m

Default Deck Storage Suggestions

Major issue on this trip will be fresh water. There is none available
after you leave either Chockoloskee or Flamingo. Figuring at least a
gallon per day (I've seen recommendations as high as 2 gallons per day),
this will chew up a lot of space. You want the water close to the
center of the boat and low to keep center of grav low. With that much
ballast, don't worry too much about whats on the deck (within reason).
Have done 3 one-week trips through the Everglades (prefer the north end
of Park, but there is much to see everywhere, you'll want your
binoculars on deck or close at hand), and have found that my boat is
stuffed full and that I literally eat and drink my way down into the
boat through the course of the week.

Suggest getting all your gear together, including water and a guess at
the food, and packing it in the boat on your living room (or garage)
floor. A glass or two of wine and a little bit of time may help you see
ways to pack and spaced you are not fully utilizing (.e.g., the area
between your legs high up beneath the deck...a custom bag can be fitted
here to hold charts, etc). Try using bladders from box wine to hold
water. These are remarkably tough and you can even sit on one as a
replacement seat.

If weather is good, I like the beach area better than the "inside". 60+
miles of whitesand beach and warm water for camping and you can't see
the next campfire. Clearly, don't swim in fresh water (the aligators
love the Watson Place).

One last tip. Since fresh water is rare in the 'Glades, but probing
mammals are not, you should bring your water into the tent at night.
Otherwise, the water bags may be chewed into by rats or possums or
whatever that are looking for water. Two days out and no water to drink
is no fun.

Its a great trip! Have fun!

doug m

Carl Buehler wrote:

Thanks for the comments guys. I am asking because I am planning a 5 to
6
day tour through the Everglades Wilderness Waterway at Christmas this
year.