Peter Unold

Default Deck Storage Suggestions

Hi Paddlers

On 5 Oct 2003 02:12:46 -0700, Carl Buehler
wrote:
[...]
But what are some opinions of list members when packing for a touring
trip?
What are the best items for leaving topside. I have done extended
canoe trips. And also many Backpacking miles on the AT. Always lived
by the rule of,
"If you do not use it every day, you do not need it." But it seems
logical to keep most often used items topside?

I have a couple of times been forced to store items on the deck, since I'm
paddling a low volume kayak. This has been in connection with wintertrips,
where my sleepingbag and warm clothes was eating up a lot of space. These
times I've put my tent in a heavy duty dryback on the aftdeck. This
arrangement has been quite handy, as in the winter I prefer to put up my
tent the moment I hit land. Likewise in the morning, I pull down the tent
as the last thing before leaving. I never felt the increased windage was a
problem.
I have since then become better at packing my kayak, so even during
wintertrips I can now keep all my gear below deck.

Good packing techniques seems to come harder than good paddling
techniques...

regards Peter at 56°10.18'N 10°12.00'E