Alex McGruer

Default Deck Storage Suggestions

(Carl Buehler) wrote in message . com...
I have been reading about gear needed for a touring expedition. I have
seen some of these waterproof bags that mount to the deck areas of
kayaks. they seem like a good idea. I realize that you should not have
to much gear on the deck for this would raise the center of gravity
and possibly cause a capsize.

But what are some opinions of list members when packing for a touring
trip?
What are the best items for leaving topside. I have done extended
canoe trips. And also many Backpacking miles on the AT. Always lived
by the rule of,
"If you do not use it every day, you do not need it." But it seems
logical to keep most often used items topside?

Topside,
Compass some times. Pump always, spare paddle always, water often,
I wear a tow rope with company and have it strapped to the deck if I
am alone. A flashlight is secured and put under my bungies if there
is a chance I will be out late.
, a paddle float is secured under the comming along the side of the
seat. Everything else is in the hatches.
Basicly my deck sports a paddle and a pump; more is deck litter.
I lost a water bottle and a flashlight when a breaking wave nailed me
from behind while landing this year. The flashlight turned up the next
morning the water bottle was left with Odin.
Stuff on the deck can vanish in harsh weather.