akasharkbow

Default Deck Storage Suggestions

(Carl Buehler) wrote in
om:

I have been reading about gear needed for a touring expedition. I have
seen some of these waterproof bags that mount to the deck areas of
kayaks. they seem like a good idea. I realize that you should not have
to much gear on the deck for this would raise the center of gravity
and possibly cause a capsize.

But what are some opinions of list members when packing for a touring
trip?
What are the best items for leaving topside. I have done extended
canoe trips. And also many Backpacking miles on the AT. Always lived
by the rule of,
"If you do not use it every day, you do not need it." But it seems
logical to keep most often used items topside?

Hello there. Great question. I am interested in what other people do. I
currently don't pack anything on my deck. I like the look of a clean
deck. The only thing there is a spare paddle on the rear deck.

I pack all my rescue gear (pump, paddlefloat) under my skirt in the
cockpit. I moved it down there to keep things from getting washed off as
well, I won't really need them unless I am floating in the water.

I work at a camping store where we sell the deck bags. I like them and
they have their place. I think that if you can make it work, go for it.
Just remember, that they are waterproof but not submursable so I wouldn't
trust an SLR cammera in them. You will need to go with a pelican case for
that.

There is another option that you could use. There are several under-the-
deck nets and containers that get mounted up under the deck around your
feet. I think that they are quite good. More difficult to get to but the
centre of gravity is much lower.

That is my 2 cents.

Cheers,

David H. Johnston