Greg Meyers

Default Kayak/Camping trip on the Channel Islands

Hello. I'm planning to go with a group out to the Channel Islands in
late November. The plan is to take a boat out there with our
gear/food/water and camp for 4 nights while kayaking to, and camping
on the different islands.

I'm trying to put together a good itinerary and was wondering if
anyone has any suggestions or advice. We are all moderate paddlers and
would like to cover nice distances each day, but also want to enjoy
ourselves and explore where we are camping.

Thanks for your help.
Ki Ayker

My first question has to be, have you and the other members of your group
been kayaking at the Channel Islands before? If not then you will probably want
to travel a bit slower in order to explore the wonderful caves and rock gardens
there. If you have all been over there before, well then I guess you would
probably not be asking this question.
The crossing from Santa Rosa to the first legal campground at Santa Cruz is
close to twenty miles! While doable, this would not leave you much time to
explore and really enjoy what these islands have to offer.
So that would leave you with doing San Miguel and Santa Rosa, or some of
Santa Cruz and Anacapa. Which way you go pretty much depends on the type of
group you have.
Personally, I have always considered the crossing to and/or from Anacapa and
the mainland to be a big part of the adventure. So you might think about
paddling the 12 NM over to Anacapa and spending a night there. Then the next
day explore Anacapa as you make your way to Santa Cruz. The third and forth day
you could explore Santa Cruz, and then take Island Packers back home. Or you
could reverse the sequence and take Island Packers over to Santa Cruz and
paddle back home from Anacapa.
Part of your decision may be decided for you when you check with Island
Packers and see what Islands they are hitting on a particular day and how that
all figures into your schedule. You should also understand that most of the
camping on these channel islands require a fairly rigorous unloading procedure
and hike into the campgrounds. So make sure you plan to have enough time and
energy for that ordeal.
I hope when you do the trip you will post a trip report here so we can read
how it all went. The Southern California Channel Islands really are are a very
special and remarkable paddling destination I hope you have a great time over
there!

Scott
So.Cal.

Hello. I'm planning to go with a group out to the Channel Islands in
late November. The plan is to take a boat out there with our
gear/food/water and camp for 4 nights while kayaking to, and camping
on the different islands.

I'm trying to put together a good itinerary and was wondering if
anyone has any suggestions or advice. We are all moderate paddlers and
would like to cover nice distances each day, but also want to enjoy
ourselves and explore where we are camping.

Rick

....stuff deleted

Scott,

Thanks for the informative post. I've done some diving in the Channel
Islands. There are few more wonderful and exciting areas to visit. The
paddle qualifies, I assume, as an expert level paddle. While it can be calm
out to the islands, it is often characterized by long swells and rebound
waves off the islands themselves. The seas can be choppy and confused in
wind (duh!) and it can be, I assume, a very challenging paddle. Perhaps I've
always been unfortunate enough to be out there during conditions where
others were losing their cookies, but it is equally likely that these
conditions are more likely to be the norm than not.

Since you live there and, obviously, paddle there as well, prehaps you can
give us a feel for how often conditions allow for suitable paddling
conditions.

Rick

[...]

....stuff from original post deleted

Ki Ayker

Since you live there and, obviously, paddle there as well, prehaps you can
give us a feel for how often conditions allow for suitable paddling
conditions.

Well, Rick, I have made the crossing over to Anacapa and back perhaps a
dozen times and have never had a major problem. The last time I went out there
I took my sixteen year old daughter with me in a double, along with a good
friend in his single. It was really foggy that morning and we decided that we
would launch and paddle out to the shipping lanes and decide at that point if
we wanted to continue. By the time we got out there the visibility had
significantly improved so we continued to the island. Believe me when I say
that I would never risk a hair on my daughters head.
Another time a couple of buddies and myself crossed back to the mainland in
some pretty thick fog. We made the 12 NM crossing in a little over two and a
half hours! I think the fear of crossing the shipping lanes in that low
visibility was driving us on. However, it's really not as dangerous as it
seems.
In maybe fifteen years or so of going out there I have never had to cancel a
trip due to weather. It happens sometimes, but probably much less then you
think. Heck, this is Southern California! It's really not all that difficult of
a crossing. I know quite a few intermediate paddlers, and several beginners,
who have done that trip. Be aware that the wind usually picks up in the
afternoon, so for the best results the crossings should be accomplished early
in the morning.
I don't know if this is really all that interesting to the other folks who
frequent this newsgroup so if you have any other questions regarding this trip
please feel free to contact me directly and I will do what I can to help.

Scott
So.Cal.

Pool

Though it might seem a bit woosy, if these are the Islands off of Ventura, I
remember a 'ferry' boat out there for kayakers. So if you'd rather spend
more time among the islands and less time dedicated to the journey from/to
the mainland, you could consider taking your kayak over and back on the boat
and having more time to play among the islands.

in article , Ki Ayker at
wrote on 9/19/03 7:00 PM:

[...]

Geoff Jennings

I've done the crossing a few times now, with times ranging from 3 1/4 hours
to over 7 hours. I was working WAY harder on the 7 hour crossing. In good
conditions the trip is easy, but there are currents and there can be stiff
winds.

that said, the weather is very often good. Scott is a very experienced
kayaker, so his idea of rough might be different than others.

That said, unless I'm guiding it, I'd rather take the ferry over,a and have
more time and energy to explore the islands.

Geoff

wrote on 9/19/03 7:00 PM:

[...]

Elizabeth Hill

....stuff from Geoff deleted

Scott,

I missed your original response, so I am resonding to Geoff's post...

....stuff from me deleted

Well, Rick, I have made the crossing over to Anacapa and back perhaps

dozen times and have never had a major problem. The last time I went

out there
I took my sixteen year old daughter with me in a double, along with a

good
friend in his single. It was really foggy that morning and we decided

that we
would launch and paddle out to the shipping lanes and decide at that

point if
we wanted to continue. By the time we got out there the visibility had
significantly improved so we continued to the island. Believe me when

I say
that I would never risk a hair on my daughters head.

I do believe you. I am just commenting on what I've observed on the four,
3-day dive trips I've made there. Perhaps I have just seen dubious
conditions in which I would not to see a novice navigate.

Another time a couple of buddies and myself crossed back to the

mainland in
some pretty thick fog. We made the 12 NM crossing in a little over two

and a
half hours! I think the fear of crossing the shipping lanes in that

low
visibility was driving us on. However, it's really not as dangerous as

it
seems.

Some of those large ships can make your hair stand on end. They don't look
like much from shore, but when you are paddling out there, they are pretty
intimidating. We have frequent shipping in the straits near home and I've
been paddling in some of their wakes. It can be a fun ride. I don't think
kayaks are particularly large, nor likely targets, but one does have to be
aware that these ships are pretty much unaware of you.

In maybe fifteen years or so of going out there I have never had to

cancel a
trip due to weather. It happens sometimes, but probably much less then

you
think. Heck, this is Southern California! It's really not all that

difficult of
a crossing. I know quite a few intermediate paddlers, and several

beginners,
who have done that trip. Be aware that the wind usually picks up in

the
afternoon, so for the best results the crossings should be

accomplished early
in the morning.

I think this applies to most paddles. It is always better in the mornings.
After 1 or 2 o'clock, the wind tends to pick up and change things pretty
quickly.

I don't know if this is really all that interesting to the other folks

who
frequent this newsgroup so if you have any other questions regarding

this trip
please feel free to contact me directly and I will do what I can to

help.

Well, my thoughts are that this is, potentially, one of the better paddles
available to kayakers who wish to try a multi-day crossing or journey. The
islands are close enough to shore to be inviting, wild and beautiful enough
to engage the mind, and far enough from short to give one a feeling of being
an intrepid traveler. The conditions are, as you point out, generally
acceptable (which was my impression, but which I've yet to experience first
hand). In these respects, I think it qualifies as a world class paddle and
be of interest to anyone who is planning to visit California. As a snorking
and dive site, the islands are particularly attractive, as the water,
particularly in winter, is clear and warmer than it is up here. There is
plenty of interesting wildlife (sea mammals, whales, otters, sea birds, and,
of course, sharks) to make it a very interesting area to visit.

Rick

Greg Meyers

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your responses. We have no intention of making the crossing
from the mainland. We will be taking a boat with our gear and kayaks
to the island. I'm thinking we'll explore Santa Cruz and maybe one
other island. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg
Seakayaker

Anacapa would be the closest island to Santa Cruz and if you cross between
them early, you should be able to beat the afternoon winds. There are lots
of caves to explore by kayak at Anacapa as well as Santa Cruz.

You could also arrange to have Island Packers pick you up from Anacapa so
you don't have to paddle back to Santa Cruz. If you want to camp at Anacapa,
you'll have to use the winch at Landing Cove to hoist your boats up. That
can be a real challenge.

Good luck,

Steve Holtzman
Southern CA

"Greg Meyers" wrote in message
om...
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your responses. We have no intention of making the crossing
from the mainland. We will be taking a boat with our gear and kayaks
to the island. I'm thinking we'll explore Santa Cruz and maybe one
other island. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

Ki Ayker

Anacapa would be the closest island to Santa Cruz and if you cross between
them early, you should be able to beat the afternoon winds.

I guess technically you are correct, but I read approximately four nautical
miles between Anacapa and Santa Cruz, and approximately five nautical miles
between Santa Curz and Santa Rosa - which at my typical cruising speed of four
NM per hour comes out to a fifteen minute differential. Big wow! The big bugger
here is the distance between campgrounds - which, as I stated earlier, is
substantial between Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz.
In the past there has been an issue with Island Packers (your ride over and
back) taking composite boats over to the islands. I don't know how that all
stands these days, but if any members of your group intend to use something
other then plastic boats you might want to make a specific inquiry as to the
current status on this issue.
Don't let the little details deter you from this trip. It's really not at
all as complicated as it sounds on this news group, and our channel islands
really are worth the effort.

Scott
So.Cal.