Pool

Default Kayak/Camping trip on the Channel Islands

Though it might seem a bit woosy, if these are the Islands off of Ventura, I
remember a 'ferry' boat out there for kayakers. So if you'd rather spend
more time among the islands and less time dedicated to the journey from/to
the mainland, you could consider taking your kayak over and back on the boat
and having more time to play among the islands.

in article , Ki Ayker at
wrote on 9/19/03 7:00 PM:

Since you live there and, obviously, paddle there as well, prehaps you can
give us a feel for how often conditions allow for suitable paddling
conditions.

Well, Rick, I have made the crossing over to Anacapa and back perhaps a
dozen times and have never had a major problem. The last time I went out there
I took my sixteen year old daughter with me in a double, along with a good
friend in his single. It was really foggy that morning and we decided that we
would launch and paddle out to the shipping lanes and decide at that point if
we wanted to continue. By the time we got out there the visibility had
significantly improved so we continued to the island. Believe me when I say
that I would never risk a hair on my daughters head.
Another time a couple of buddies and myself crossed back to the mainland in
some pretty thick fog. We made the 12 NM crossing in a little over two and a
half hours! I think the fear of crossing the shipping lanes in that low
visibility was driving us on. However, it's really not as dangerous as it
seems.
In maybe fifteen years or so of going out there I have never had to cancel a
trip due to weather. It happens sometimes, but probably much less then you
think. Heck, this is Southern California! It's really not all that difficult
of
a crossing. I know quite a few intermediate paddlers, and several beginners,
who have done that trip. Be aware that the wind usually picks up in the
afternoon, so for the best results the crossings should be accomplished early
in the morning.
I don't know if this is really all that interesting to the other folks who
frequent this newsgroup so if you have any other questions regarding this trip
please feel free to contact me directly and I will do what I can to help.

Scott
So.Cal.