Elizabeth Hill

Default Kayak/Camping trip on the Channel Islands

....stuff from Geoff deleted

Scott,

I missed your original response, so I am resonding to Geoff's post...

....stuff from me deleted

Well, Rick, I have made the crossing over to Anacapa and back perhaps

dozen times and have never had a major problem. The last time I went

out there
I took my sixteen year old daughter with me in a double, along with a

good
friend in his single. It was really foggy that morning and we decided

that we
would launch and paddle out to the shipping lanes and decide at that

point if
we wanted to continue. By the time we got out there the visibility had
significantly improved so we continued to the island. Believe me when

I say
that I would never risk a hair on my daughters head.

I do believe you. I am just commenting on what I've observed on the four,
3-day dive trips I've made there. Perhaps I have just seen dubious
conditions in which I would not to see a novice navigate.

Another time a couple of buddies and myself crossed back to the

mainland in
some pretty thick fog. We made the 12 NM crossing in a little over two

and a
half hours! I think the fear of crossing the shipping lanes in that

low
visibility was driving us on. However, it's really not as dangerous as

it
seems.

Some of those large ships can make your hair stand on end. They don't look
like much from shore, but when you are paddling out there, they are pretty
intimidating. We have frequent shipping in the straits near home and I've
been paddling in some of their wakes. It can be a fun ride. I don't think
kayaks are particularly large, nor likely targets, but one does have to be
aware that these ships are pretty much unaware of you.

In maybe fifteen years or so of going out there I have never had to

cancel a
trip due to weather. It happens sometimes, but probably much less then

you
think. Heck, this is Southern California! It's really not all that

difficult of
a crossing. I know quite a few intermediate paddlers, and several

beginners,
who have done that trip. Be aware that the wind usually picks up in

the
afternoon, so for the best results the crossings should be

accomplished early
in the morning.

I think this applies to most paddles. It is always better in the mornings.
After 1 or 2 o'clock, the wind tends to pick up and change things pretty
quickly.

I don't know if this is really all that interesting to the other folks

who
frequent this newsgroup so if you have any other questions regarding

this trip
please feel free to contact me directly and I will do what I can to

help.

Well, my thoughts are that this is, potentially, one of the better paddles
available to kayakers who wish to try a multi-day crossing or journey. The
islands are close enough to shore to be inviting, wild and beautiful enough
to engage the mind, and far enough from short to give one a feeling of being
an intrepid traveler. The conditions are, as you point out, generally
acceptable (which was my impression, but which I've yet to experience first
hand). In these respects, I think it qualifies as a world class paddle and
be of interest to anyone who is planning to visit California. As a snorking
and dive site, the islands are particularly attractive, as the water,
particularly in winter, is clear and warmer than it is up here. There is
plenty of interesting wildlife (sea mammals, whales, otters, sea birds, and,
of course, sharks) to make it a very interesting area to visit.

Rick