Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1) - DCP_3535Sm.JPG (1/1)

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Attachment decoded: DCP_3535Sm.JPG

Yes, much brighter and clearer. The river or canal is very calm. Does it
ever get choppy, e.g., in a storm?

Also, I don't recognize DCP in the camera's file name. What do you have?

--
HP, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

My Canon PowerShot A570 was not available so I used the old Kodak
DC280 just in case the ship departed this afternoon.

I just took a few on the good one, but the visibility is terrilbe due
to the smoke.

HF

On Sun, 18 May 2008 13:51:43 -0500, "HEMI - Powered"
wrote:

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Attachment decoded: DCP_3535Sm.JPG

Yes, much brighter and clearer. The river or canal is very calm. Does it
ever get choppy, e.g., in a storm?

Also, I don't recognize DCP in the camera's file name. What do you have?

Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1) - DCP_3535Sm.JPG (0/1)

This our (combined) 44th home, five together. She's a service brat
and a military officer. I served 29 years.

Of all the places, I like Miami best and it is my third time. I can
deal with an occasional hurricane, with days of warning, but not
earthquakes, tornados, and months of winter. I grew up in upstate NY

HF

On Sun, 18 May 2008 13:50:33 -0500, "HEMI - Powered"
wrote:

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

HP, where are you located?

Here's a better picture day in Miami.

HF (Jerry)

Troy, Michigan. That's in SE Michigan about 19 miles NNW of the Detroit
River. If you are familar with the area, we are at Livernois and Square
Lake Roads. The boundary of Detroit E-W is 8 Mile Road so I am 11 miles
north of that but at a slant when looking as the crow flies all the way
to the river, which runs roughly E-W in Downtown Detroit.

When I first started at Chrysler Engineering in 1969, I was at their
headquarters and engineering complex in Highland Park, Michigan and I
move to the new Chrysler Technology Center in Auburn Hills, MI in 1992.
So, I am very close to much of the neat stuff in SW MI but not at all
close to anything scenic like you are, Kingfisher is, etc. But, we all
have to choose wrt weather and the risk of weather, right?

Have a great day, HF?

Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

From our condo on the 41st floor of a building on Brickell Key, a
small island in the financial district. We are about 1/2 mile from
the ships.

My 19 year old daughter is asleep and my really good digital and
lens are in there where Dad's dare not go until noon. smile

HF, you best apply the 6-P Principle he grin "Proper Planning
Prevents **** Poor Performance", quoted by CIA assasin played by Robert
Duvall in the movie "The Killer Elite".

As an adjunct to lenses, I popped for not one, but TWO new cameras
today! A Rebel Xsi for myself with the new 18-55mm kit lens to replace
my Rebel XT and an 8mp Canon SD-1100 ultra-compact P & S for my wife in
pink annodized "aluminum" plastic. She likes pink because she's a pig
memorabilia collector.

Now, gotta get off the couch and do some test drives prior to the June
5 WW@WD and June 7 CEMA HUGE Mopar car shows at Chrysler's Auburn
Hills, MI complex

The cruise shiop to the left is Freedom of the Seas (RCCL) the
largest cruise ship in service right now.

HF

On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:33:37 -0500, "HEMI - Powered"
wrote:

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

The Spanish tall ship, Juan Sebastiain Elcano, a four-masted,
topsail schooner is in Miami for an R&R (liberty) and ceremonial
visit.

Note the provisions for square sails on the forward mast and
fore-n-aft sails on the other three.

They have rigged a canvas cover for the main and quarterdecks and
have had receptions on board each night. It is rumored that the
King of Spain (or maybe his son) was here one night.

Miami has a huge Spanish presence. Even the Cuban population has
ties to Spain. Many of the families in the 1960-62 flight from
Castro's rise to power had only been in Cuba since they left Spain
to escape the Civil War of the late 1930. They consider
themselves more Spanish than Cuban.

The pics are not as sharp as I'd like due to fires in the
Everglades which are sending smoke over the city. And, my
daughter has "borrowed" my best camera. I'll try again this
afternoon with it.

HiFlyer, where were you taking these pics? By the angle and distance
and smoggy and greenish tint look, I'd guess inside a skyscraper or
maybe some tower. Also, I'd guess it annoyed you not to have a long
enough lens to nail those two great ships from whatever distance you
were. I'd guesstimate maybe a mile or more.

I imagine you've been to the Castillo de San Marcos in St.
Augustine. I've never been a lover of Miami, but I sure do love the
Castillo! Now, if I ever get off my dead ass and buy a dedicated
slide scanner, maybe I can recover some of my thousands of 35mm
slides into digital!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

This our (combined) 44th home, five together. She's a service brat
and a military officer. I served 29 years.

My congrats to both of you for serving this great country for twin
careers! If you'd like to say, what branches are you in? As for me, my
military "career" was 20 months as an enlisted man in the U.S. Army.
Basic at Ft. Dix, AIT at Ft. Sill, and duty with the 1st of the 81st
Field Artillery in Neu Ulm Germany. The "1st of the 80-worst" was a
Pershing tactical nuclear missile battalion, presumeably with the
intent of nuking Warsaw Pact armored divisions should they try to
overrun NATO. Damn glad we never had to launch!

Now, My Gawd! 44 homes?! I have only had 4, counting my parents house,
an apartment before my wife and I married, a house we built in Madison
Heights, then the house we're in now in Troy. I suppose I could add 3
more for the Army.

Again, it makes me so proud to be an American when I hear of people
like you and your wife dedicating their lives to the defense of our
freedom. Have either/both of you been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan?
I'm not expert, please, but I'd SWAG that maybe 2/3 of the troop
strength there is National Guard, but I'm sure that if either/both of
you are Army, Marines, or Navy, your boots may well have been on the
ground there, maybe 2 or 3 times now. I just heard last week that some
state Guard units are now on their FOURTH tour!

I won't comment at all about the war, except to say that I think that
burning up our National Guard like that is foolhardy. I don't know what
political heat President Bush would've taken if he'd reinstituted the
draft as LBJ did for Viet Nam, but if he had, we at least would have
been able to maintain a combat-ready force at home and would be far
better able to cope with what the Guard is for, e.g., Katrina and the
recent hurricanes.

Of all the places, I like Miami best and it is my third time. I can
deal with an occasional hurricane, with days of warning, but not
earthquakes, tornados, and months of winter. I grew up in upstate
NY

I used to travel with my parent every summer across NY on the way to
Worcester, MA to visit with my mother's family there and in Chepachet,
RI with my father's family. In my early youth in the early 1950s, we
went across the mountains over 2-lane roads, then the NY Thruway. I
have been to Upstate NY once, and found it fascinating, but the
touristy stuff is pretty far apart.

If you're interested in things military at all, I can relate the
"exploits" of my father who was a WWII Marine, and fought at Saipan,
Tinian, and Iwo Jima and is even pictured in Joe Rosenthal's "gung ho"
group shot after the raising of the 2nd flag on Mt. Suribachi. I posted
a series to honor him on his birthday on April 4, but only (I think) to
a.b.p.wallpaper and wallpaper-duplicates. If you ARE interested and
you'd like me to repost here, please give me a "Ping" here.

wrote:

[...]

PowerShots are the series of P & S cameras, aren't they, HF? Do they
get up into the EVF range? See a comment I just made to an earlier one
of yours. I just bought a PowerShot SD-1100 for my wife and a Rebel Xsi
DSLR new toy for myself this afternoon.

Thanks for the pics and the good stories!

I just took a few on the good one, but the visibility is terrilbe
due to the smoke.

Smoke? As is smoke or as in smog? I've never stayed in Miami per se but
did pass through Miami Beach a number of times and did some night spots
back in January, 1970 just before my buddy and I got drafted, he in
February that year and me in June. It IS a very nice area, especially
if you like boaters. Back then, we were Lauderdale-bound and managed to
see the old Queen Elizabeth when she was berthed as a floating museum
at Port Everglades. Too bad the Japs managed to sink such a
distinguished old lady towing her home.

I may or may not have commented here that my main interest these days
is car pictures, but buried in my basement are something like 5,000-
8,000 - I really don't know how many - 35mm slides I took with my
still-working 1969 Nikon Photomic FTN. Lots were in the US before and
after I was in the Army but the bulk are of Germany, Austria, London,
and Paris while I was overseas. I almost bought a Nikon CoolScan 5000 3
years ago but dropped the idea because my health went south. I am still
recovering and I have the itch to play with my Visa card again while
she's still hot. Gotta to to www.nikonusa.com and see what the diff is
for a CoolScan V at $600 vs. the CoolScan 5000 for $1100. I'm pretty
sure I want the latter because it supports 4 slide/scan, an optional
feeder, and Digital Ice to kill the noise caused by dust.

If and when I ever acquire such a beast - or use Ritz Camera's scanning
service at 75 cents/scan, I'll be able to post a LARGE number of ships,
both civilian and military.

Stay tuned!

wrote:

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Attachment decoded: DCP_3535Sm.JPG

Yes, much brighter and clearer. The river or canal is very calm.
Does it ever get choppy, e.g., in a storm?

Also, I don't recognize DCP in the camera's file name. What do you
have?

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1) - 2 attachments

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[...]

Here he is at full sail HiFlyer

Looks like a 4-masted schooner with a metal hull. If it is Spanish Navy,
it must be for the same purpose as the American Coast Guard training true
"tall ship", the Eagle, pics attached.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Attached Thumbnails
Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)-uss-eagle-coast-guard-training-sailing-ship.jpg  Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)-eagle.jpg

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

The pics are not as sharp as I'd like due to fires in the Everglades
which are sending smoke over the city. And, my daughter has
"borrowed" my best camera. I'll try again this afternoon with it.

Here he is at full sail HiFlyer

Looks like a 4-masted schooner with a metal hull. If it is Spanish Navy,
it must be for the same purpose as the American Coast Guard training true
"tall ship", the Eagle, pics attached.

She has indeed a steel hull like The Eagle.
Here a nice little movie of the Juan Sebastian Elcano on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIn-O7piw4Q
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Here he is at full sail HiFlyer

Looks like a 4-masted schooner with a metal hull. If it is Spanish
Navy, it must be for the same purpose as the American Coast Guard
training true "tall ship", the Eagle, pics attached.

She has indeed a steel hull like The Eagle.
Here a nice little movie of the Juan Sebastian Elcano on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIn-O7piw4Q

As you know, Bouler, I'm not a fool and I don't lead with my chin wrt
facts or things I assert. So, I either can be reasonably sure by just
looking often, I can and do do some Googling if my comments might turn
out to be embarrassing if I'm really wrong. Thus, I was Ivory Soap Pure
sure that the Juan is steel-hulled, just as I correctly nailed the same
thing in a number of your reposts for me when I first docked in this here
deep water port.

As for YouTube, never touch the stuff! Most people know I have an
information security background that's pretty extensive and I also have a
MAJOR committment of time and energy to everything digital and techie, so
I already KNOW that YouTube is a really juicy place for the bad guys to
plant nasties in the videos, and do other not-so-nice things such as grap
IPs for future compromise attempts, maybe snag an E-mail addy from them
stupid enough to post in the clear, etc. And, ALL of the dangers are an
order of magnitude higher - maybe 2 orders of magnitude or even more - if
one is running on ANY HTTP system vs. NNTP.

[...]

Well I liked the movie with information of the ship.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)