Default USCGC EAGLE - 304.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)-304.jpg

Default USCGC EAGLE - 304.jpg (0/1)

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

The USCG Cutter (Barque) EAGLE, WIX-327 is based at the Coast Guard
Academy in New London, CT. She is used for Academy Cadet cruises
during the summer and for Officer Candidate School (OCS) cruises the
rest of the year.

A "barque", that's what it is! I knew it wasn't a true "ship" while it
has 3 masts, one of them is sailed like a schooner with triangular
sails, not all 3 square-rigged. And, thanks for the info on where she
is berthed, I never knew she's in New London. The day we passed through
there so long ago, we had much bigger fish to fry, such as spending
time at the Mystic Seaport Village Musuem. It was getting late in the
day and I had to literally run from ship to ship to building to try to
snap as many 35mm as possible. Great place, lousy movie though.

On Tue, 20 May 2008 02:15:58 GMT, "HEMI-Powered"

wrote:

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

I made severalcruises on EAGLE, the longest to Norway, England,
Spain, and Bermuda from New London.

HF

Really?! Would that maybe indicate you're either Navy or Coast Guard?
Sadly, the two pics of that beautiful steel huller I posted is all I
could easily find, but coulda swore I had more so if you run across
any, please post them. Thanks.

Now, I've been to New London, home of the Electric Boat Division but

didn't know that was a place the Eagle might port.

On Mon, 19 May 2008 02:11:52 GMT, "HEMI-Powered"
wrote:

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

The Spanish tall ship, Juan Sebastiain Elcano, a four-masted,
topsail schooner is in Miami for an R&R (liberty) and

ceremonial
visit.

Note the provisions for square sails on the forward mast and
fore-n-aft sails on the other three.

They have rigged a canvas cover for the main and quarterdecks

and
have had receptions on board each night. It is rumored that the
King of Spain (or maybe his son) was here one night.

Miami has a huge Spanish presence. Even the Cuban population

has
ties to Spain. Many of the families in the 1960-62 flight from
Castro's rise to power had only been in Cuba since they left
Spain to escape the Civil War of the late 1930. They consider
themselves more Spanish than Cuban.

The pics are not as sharp as I'd like due to fires in the
Everglades which are sending smoke over the city. And, my
daughter has "borrowed" my best camera. I'll try again this
afternoon with it.

Here he is at full sail HiFlyer

Looks like a 4-masted schooner with a metal hull. If it is Spanish
Navy, it must be for the same purpose as the American Coast Guard
training true
"tall ship", the Eagle, pics attached.

--
HP, aka Jerry