Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)

The Spanish tall ship, Juan Sebastiain Elcano, a four-masted, topsail
schooner is in Miami for an R&R (liberty) and ceremonial visit.

Note the provisions for square sails on the forward mast and
fore-n-aft sails on the other three.

They have rigged a canvas cover for the main and quarterdecks and have
had receptions on board each night. It is rumored that the King of
Spain (or maybe his son) was here one night.

Miami has a huge Spanish presence. Even the Cuban population has ties
to Spain. Many of the families in the 1960-62 flight from Castro's
rise to power had only been in Cuba since they left Spain to escape
the Civil War of the late 1930. They consider themselves more Spanish
than Cuban.

The pics are not as sharp as I'd like due to fires in the Everglades
which are sending smoke over the city. And, my daughter has
"borrowed" my best camera. I'll try again this afternoon with it.

HF

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[...]

HiFlyer, where were you taking these pics? By the angle and distance
and smoggy and greenish tint look, I'd guess inside a skyscraper or
maybe some tower. Also, I'd guess it annoyed you not to have a long
enough lens to nail those two great ships from whatever distance you
were. I'd guesstimate maybe a mile or more.

I imagine you've been to the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine.
I've never been a lover of Miami, but I sure do love the Castillo! Now,
if I ever get off my dead ass and buy a dedicated slide scanner, maybe
I can recover some of my thousands of 35mm slides into digital!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

From our condo on the 41st floor of a building on Brickell Key, a
small island in the financial district. We are about 1/2 mile from
the ships.

My 19 year old daughter is asleep and my really good digital and lens
are in there where Dad's dare not go until noon. smile

The cruise shiop to the left is Freedom of the Seas (RCCL) the largest
cruise ship in service right now.

HF

On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:33:37 -0500, "HEMI - Powered"
wrote:

[...]

Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1) - DCP_3535Sm.JPG (0/1)

HP, where are you located?

Here's a better picture day in Miami.

HF (Jerry)

Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1) - DCP_3535Sm.JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)-dcp_3535sm.jpg

"HiFlyer" schreef in bericht
news
[...]

Here he is at full sail HiFlyer
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Attached Thumbnails
Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)-juan-sebastian-de-elcano-spanish-navy.jpg

Very nice.

HF

On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:56:06 +0200, "Bouler"
wrote:

"HiFlyer" schreef in bericht
news
[...]

wrote:

"HiFlyer" schreef in bericht
news
[...]

That's a nice ship.

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

From our condo on the 41st floor of a building on Brickell Key, a
small island in the financial district. We are about 1/2 mile from
the ships.

My 19 year old daughter is asleep and my really good digital and
lens are in there where Dad's dare not go until noon. smile

The cruise shiop to the left is Freedom of the Seas (RCCL) the
largest cruise ship in service right now.

Hmmm. Looks like I missed the distance by about half. What confused my
on that was the pictures are apparently taken at different zoom focal
lengths.

wrote:

[...]

Troy, Michigan. That's in SE Michigan about 19 miles NNW of the Detroit
River. If you are familar with the area, we are at Livernois and Square
Lake Roads. The boundary of Detroit E-W is 8 Mile Road so I am 11 miles
north of that but at a slant when looking as the crow flies all the way
to the river, which runs roughly E-W in Downtown Detroit.

When I first started at Chrysler Engineering in 1969, I was at their
headquarters and engineering complex in Highland Park, Michigan and I
move to the new Chrysler Technology Center in Auburn Hills, MI in 1992.
So, I am very close to much of the neat stuff in SW MI but not at all
close to anything scenic like you are, Kingfisher is, etc. But, we all
have to choose wrt weather and the risk of weather, right?

Have a great day, HF?