HEMI-Powered HEMI-Powered is offline

Default Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1) - 2 attachments

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

The Spanish tall ship, Juan Sebastiain Elcano, a four-masted, topsail
schooner is in Miami for an R&R (liberty) and ceremonial visit.

Note the provisions for square sails on the forward mast and
fore-n-aft sails on the other three.

They have rigged a canvas cover for the main and quarterdecks and have
had receptions on board each night. It is rumored that the King of
Spain (or maybe his son) was here one night.

Miami has a huge Spanish presence. Even the Cuban population has ties
to Spain. Many of the families in the 1960-62 flight from Castro's
rise to power had only been in Cuba since they left Spain to escape
the Civil War of the late 1930. They consider themselves more Spanish
than Cuban.

The pics are not as sharp as I'd like due to fires in the Everglades
which are sending smoke over the city. And, my daughter has
"borrowed" my best camera. I'll try again this afternoon with it.

Here he is at full sail HiFlyer

Looks like a 4-masted schooner with a metal hull. If it is Spanish Navy,
it must be for the same purpose as the American Coast Guard training true
"tall ship", the Eagle, pics attached.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Attached Thumbnails
Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)-uss-eagle-coast-guard-training-sailing-ship.jpg  Spanish Tall Ship - Juan_Sebastian_Elcano_104.JPG (0/1)-eagle.jpg