Tim Tim is offline

Default re powering a pontoon

OK, I think it's a bit of over kill but I may have found a good deal
on a 28' pontoon. The San-pan is 'toons are in excellent shape but the
rest is bogus. no engine (but has Evinrude controls) will need a new
steering cable because someone took a torch to it to steal the 85 hp.
v-4 that was on it. rotten floor , rotten seats, rotten all the way
over. But the frame, floats and trailer are good. A winter project
for sure.

I have a 115 v-4 hanging in the garage. But I also have access to a 28
hp turbo Kabota. not much HP but buckets of torque for it's size, not
counting an unsurpassed fuel economy.

Obviously you can probably tell what I'm thinking of doing. I'm not
thrilled with the thought of smelling diesel fuel, but I know several
fellows that are into burning french fry grease in their pickups. and
with little modification, can be done rather simply and effectively.

Anyhow, this diesel weights less than a small block GM and I've known
of several large pontoons that are set up with v-8 I/O's. The local
machine shop can make adaptor plates and weld aluminum. I have a
couple of spare Alpha drives sitting back in the warehouse, that could
work on this project. Or I could use a shaft salvaged from my old
Chris Craft Cavalier with a Borg Warner "V-Drive" which would mount
the engine more amidships and even though it would take up floor space
would provide for better weight distribution.

I'm not necessarily into speed but more into economical performance.
Of course the Speed would probably be determined on how many people
one stacks on the boat, but I'd like to look over the options. But
seeing this would be on a mild lake or slow river (normal flow 7 mph,
max. flow 12 mph) It might be a neat project.

Does anyone know of a website that provides information or formulas
concerning power and weight distribution for what I'm thinking of
perusing?

Thanks!

On Oct 21, 12:44*pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

I think I'd go with the outboard. Reason being, hanging off the back
and low, they are very quite on a pontoon. I think the added noise,
along with the fact that it would probably need a lot of constant
tweaking, smell, and grease/oil would keep me from using the Kabota.
Would be a fun project though.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:44:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

[...]

If it's not here, it don't exist.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phphorsepo...ight_ratio.php

or

http://tinyurl.com/63vz3g

It sounds like it would be a fun project, if you've got the space, tools,
time, and stuff to do it with. You seem to have all those bases covered.
It's a shame Karen, from Australia, isn't still here. Sounds like this
would be right up her alley.

One of our more gracious members drove her off though.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Narcissistic Hypocrite]
Tim Tim is offline

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phphorsepo...tion_power_to_...

or

http://tinyurl.com/63vz3g

It sounds like it would be a fun project, if you've got the space, tools,
time, and stuff to do it with. You seem to have all those bases covered.
It's a shame Karen, from Australia, isn't still here. Sounds like this
would be right up her alley.

One of our more gracious members drove her off though.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
*[A Narcissistic Hypocrite]- Hide quoted text -

Thanks ffor the Site, John. that will take a bit of decifering. Also
Loog, I think you have the right idea about using the 115.

I didn't think of all the noise being listed int he equasion. My
little 18' Chris craft has a 3.0 GM I./O and even with good foam
padding on the engine cover it's still clattery and noisy.... and
that's normal!

Interesting that the 350 chevy in the 23' cuddy is almost quiet as a
mouse.

wrote:

I'm not necessarily into speed but more into economical performance.
Of course the Speed would probably be determined on how many people
one stacks on the boat, but I'd like to look over the options. But
seeing this would be on a mild lake or slow river (normal flow 7 mph,
max. flow 12 mph) It might be a neat project.

It is unlikely that 28 hp will get it going on plane which will limit
you to fast displacement speeds, maybe 10 to 12 mph if you are lucky.
You really do not want to be underpowered on a river with 8 to 12 mph
of current.

On Oct 21, 1:16*pm, Tim wrote:
On Oct 21, 11:56*am, JohnH wrote:

[...]

mouse.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I'm thinking that the Kabota would transfer a LOT of noise/
vibration into the boat. Being a pontoon, and harmonics being what
they are, there's just really know telling what it'd sound like until
you tried it.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

I'm not necessarily into speed but more into economical performance.
Of course the Speed would probably be determined on how many people
one stacks on the boat, but I'd like to look over the options. But
seeing this would be on a mild lake or slow river (normal flow 7 mph,
max. *flow 12 mph) It might be a neat project.

It is unlikely that 28 hp will get it going on plane which will limit
you to fast displacement speeds, maybe 10 to 12 mph if you are lucky.
You really do not want to be underpowered on a river with 8 to 12 mph
of current.

That's another good call. Yes. one hp per ft. doesn't really sound
very encouraging. and top end on glass'smooth water mgith be in the 15
mph range. Not too good if fighting a current of 12 on the river and
especially when there's 8-12 people on board.

More for consideration.

Thanks Wayne.
Tim Tim is offline

Default re powering a pontoon, now decking material selection

OK, I've given in to using my 115 evinrude which would be the
practical way. and so I'm thinking of decking material seeing its
really soft that is, what wood is still there.

I'm not against the idea of using Marine ply, but I've always wondered
why composite wod wouldn't be a better selection.

I got tired of my front porch rotting away ever 5 years, because the
treated pine couldn't hold up against the brunt of weather and baking
sun because out house faces the west. and the summer sun hits it hard.
So I bit the bullet and went with composite decking material (Trex) I
lvoe it! It was easy to work with, and no maintenance, painting, and
it doesn't rot.

so I did a bit of looking around and found this:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/teck-...65-125119.html

I see they have used it for teak replacement and it looks pretty good.
Of course I might not be able to use it practically speaking, because
it would mean reinforcing with a couple extra floor joints (I suppose
that's what you'd call them) But I do like the idea of it lasting for
absolutely years.

I'm also wondering why pontoon and boat mfg's don't use more of these
products. especially in stringer construction.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:19:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

[...]

Cost maybe? Is that stuff cheap? Have you considered exterior plywood
covered with a fancy linoleum?

(Hee, hee!)

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/teck-...ng-synthetic-t...

I see they have used it for teak replacement and it looks pretty good.
Of course I might not be able to use it practically speaking, because
it would mean reinforcing with a couple extra floor joints (I suppose
that's what you'd call them) But I do like the idea of it lasting for
absolutely years.

I'm also wondering why pontoon and boat mfg's don't use more of these
products. especially in stringer construction.

Cost maybe? Is that stuff cheap? Have you considered exterior plywood
covered with a fancy linoleum?

(Hee, hee!)
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
*[A Narcissistic Hypocrite]

LOL!

Well, not really. And no it's not cheap, but really, neither is
exterior or marine plywood.

Powering pda on board MP Electronics 3 June 3rd 05 05:10 AM
Powering a boat with AC and DC (was) WTB: Marine Inverter Skip Gundlach Boat Building 36 April 10th 05 11:00 PM
powering a boat sel1 Boat Building 2 December 10th 04 04:19 AM
B & M Pontoon seat ct General 0 July 6th 04 02:18 AM
New Pontoon Mke Graham General 0 August 13th 03 12:00 PM