sel1

Default powering a boat

Can anyone direct me to some sites where I could get some ideas on what I
should be doing to wire up a boat correctly (with diagrams - I prefer to
see things) for properlly servicing the boat and managing the batteries
properly. Beyond lighting I'm not sure what I could/should be planning for.

From threads in these ng's I've come to the conclusion that most chargers do
not top off the batteries. Is that correct? There must be some commercial
off the shelf chargers that can do the topping off?

What kinds of useful 12v appliances are out there?

Thanks

tonyic

There are several good books. 12 volt bible comes to mind. Chargers
themselves are a complete subject. Go to a boatus store and get a
catalog, it will give you some ideas of what is out there. But from
your question you should probably hire someone to do the wiring.

Mac

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:50:15 -0500, sel1 wrote:

Can anyone direct me to some sites where I could get some ideas on what I
should be doing to wire up a boat correctly (with diagrams - I prefer to
see things) for properlly servicing the boat and managing the batteries
properly. Beyond lighting I'm not sure what I could/should be planning for.

From threads in these ng's I've come to the conclusion that most chargers do
not top off the batteries. Is that correct? There must be some commercial
off the shelf chargers that can do the topping off?

What kinds of useful 12v appliances are out there?

Thanks

What you want is a multistage battery charger compatible with the type of
battery you have. For example, charging "gel cell" batteries is a little
different than charging liquid electrolyte batteries.

Try west marine's online catalog to find a sampling of chargers, then go
read the manufacturers information about them on the manufacturers website.

It's a starting point, anyway.

HTH!

--Mac