HK HK is offline

Default Transoms - Everglades Boats anti-swamping solution

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

It's simple...if you take a greenie over the bow or the sides, a boat
with a transom like mine will shed that water a lot more quickly than a
boat with a closed transom.

Not to get into hypotheticals, but assume my previous example for a
moment. Your are out there drift fishing in a bit of a chop, the wind
suddenly picks up due to a thunder boomer nearby, the seas start getting
confused and you start taking a few splashes over the transom.

You wisely decide it's time to head in, but, alas! That reliable Yamaha
4 stroke suddenly decided to have a bad computer day.
It won't start. The boat's starting to bounce around a bit, some of the
growing waves smacking into that transom. Your feet start getting wet
.... oh .... wait ... that's ok. You don't mind.

Point is, if you took a serious greenie over the transom for some reason,
don't you need power on to clear it "quickly"?

Eisboch

That's why I have a Yamaha, and not an eTec! Instant power on. :)

Actually most of the time water rolls right out the *four* transom drains.

You guys seem to think that a 25" transom is...lower than a 25" transom.

Sorry. I was thinking of the transom cutout where the engine sits. What
is it's height to the waterline?

Eisboch

That's the 25"+ part of my transom. The rest of the transom is about a
foot taller. Fascinating, hey?

"HK" wrote in message

That's the 25"+ part of my transom. The rest of the transom is about a
foot taller. Fascinating, hey?

Do you have a standard length leg on that engine?

If so, the pictures are very deceiving.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

That's the 25"+ part of my transom. The rest of the transom is about a
foot taller. Fascinating, hey?

Do you have a standard length leg on that engine?

If so, the pictures are very deceiving.

Eisboch

Yep...standard 25" lower unit. I stated many months ago at the very
beginning of the silliness about that transom that the photos were
deceiving. But this *is* rec.boats, so ill-informed silliness abounds.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:50:30 -0400, HK wrote:

Yep...standard 25" lower unit. I stated many months ago at the very
beginning of the silliness about that transom that the photos were
deceiving. But this *is* rec.boats, so ill-informed silliness abounds.

I was thinking that your boat's natural buoyancy would clear most of
the occasional "big" water over the stern through the cutout even when
dead in the water, and the scuppers would handle the rest.
Hypotheticals are tricky. It would be fun, or at least instructive to
try many in practice. But also very expensive.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:50:30 -0400, HK wrote:

Yep...standard 25" lower unit. I stated many months ago at the very
beginning of the silliness about that transom that the photos were
deceiving. But this *is* rec.boats, so ill-informed silliness abounds.

I was thinking that your boat's natural buoyancy would clear most of
the occasional "big" water over the stern through the cutout even when
dead in the water, and the scuppers would handle the rest.
Hypotheticals are tricky. It would be fun, or at least instructive to
try many in practice. But also very expensive.

--Vic

I swamped an old 14 foot run-about with a 40 horse Johnson on a flat, calm
fresh water pond. Of course, I was young and an idiot.
I was trying to see how big of a confused wake I could make by going around
in really tight circles, at a speed that produced the biggest wake.
Everything was fine, then all of a sudden the boat was almost up to the
gunnels with water.

Engine kept chugging away though, and I beached it to bail it out. The trip
to shore was scary. Boats don't handle very well when they are full of
water and I fully expected it to turn into a submarine at any moment.

Eisboch

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:01:01 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I swamped an old 14 foot run-about with a 40 horse Johnson on a flat, calm
fresh water pond. Of course, I was young and an idiot.
I was trying to see how big of a confused wake I could make by going around
in really tight circles, at a speed that produced the biggest wake.
Everything was fine, then all of a sudden the boat was almost up to the
gunnels with water.

Engine kept chugging away though, and I beached it to bail it out. The trip
to shore was scary. Boats don't handle very well when they are full of
water and I fully expected it to turn into a submarine at any moment.

Only close to swamping incident I recall is me and my grandad getting
caught out fishing on a lake when a storm rolled through fast.
He had his Elgin (7 horse I think) on his steel 12 or 14 footer.
Had to beach it as was filling up from waves splashing over from every
direction. Scary.
I probably put 10 times more miles rowing that boat while fishing than
it had with anybody clamping the motor on it.
Nice fishing boat, with built-in livewells on each side amidships.
But heavy.

--Vic

On Jul 27, 3:56*pm, HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

[...]

"Most of the time"? Just how often do you take on water over the
transom? What happens when the four drains don't do the job?

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I did the same thing, only a 12 footer and 18 horse Evinrude Fastwin.

HK HK is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:50:30 -0400, HK wrote:
Yep...standard 25" lower unit. I stated many months ago at the very
beginning of the silliness about that transom that the photos were
deceiving. But this *is* rec.boats, so ill-informed silliness abounds.

I was thinking that your boat's natural buoyancy would clear most of
the occasional "big" water over the stern through the cutout even when
dead in the water, and the scuppers would handle the rest.
Hypotheticals are tricky. It would be fun, or at least instructive to
try many in practice. But also very expensive.

--Vic

I've been slammed by some big wakes from cruisers, and typically the
stern just rides up and down the crests.

Why Small Outboards Sink - Low Transoms Cited Wayne.B General 184 December 16th 07 01:59 AM
Low transoms again Steve P General 39 August 20th 07 12:43 AM
CD player with Anti-Shock or Anti-Skip Bryan G Electronics 3 June 14th 05 03:59 AM
cutaway transoms Parallax Cruising 4 April 22nd 04 07:58 PM
Everglades Waypoints Carl Buehler Touring 1 October 14th 03 02:28 AM