Default Low transoms again

Harry, we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel on Monday and
darned if we didn't pass a Parker just like yours going the opposite way. I
saw the transom in my rear view mirror and thought could it be you?

Steve P.

"Steve P" wrote in message
Harry, we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel on Monday and
darned if we didn't pass a Parker just like yours going the opposite way.
I saw the transom in my rear view mirror and thought could it be you?

Steve P.

We went out yesterday to take advantage of the fleeting summer weather
boating days. On the way to the Lake I started taking notice of these "low
transom" boats. I never paid attention to them before. I must have seen
a dozen, including a Grady White and Contender, amongst others, some with
the cutout transom area within just a few inches of the waterline. Among
these boats aproximately 1/2 half had a splashwell.

HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"Steve P" wrote in message
Harry, we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel on Monday and
darned if we didn't pass a Parker just like yours going the opposite way.
I saw the transom in my rear view mirror and thought could it be you?

Steve P.

We went out yesterday to take advantage of the fleeting summer weather
boating days. On the way to the Lake I started taking notice of these "low
transom" boats. I never paid attention to them before. I must have seen
a dozen, including a Grady White and Contender, amongst others, some with
the cutout transom area within just a few inches of the waterline. Among
these boats aproximately 1/2 half had a splashwell.

I've been boating for more than 50 years in salt water, and I have owned
and been on dozens and dozens of boats with "full," notched or perfectly
straight across transoms. Not once in any of those waters have I
encountered a situation made dangerous by the height of the transom.

When we lived in NE Florida, I used to run several very dangerous inlets
that, when you were coming towards land, had substantial breaking waves
rolling constantly towards the transom of my boats. These, by the way,
were boats with 20" transoms. Once in a while, a bit of water came
aboard, not enough to float anything on the deck, and because the boats
were properly designed, the water ran right out.

It seems to be an issue for inexperienced boaters, inland boaters, and
our newsgroup's several non-boating troublemakers. Their opinions matter
not at all.

Oh...about five years ago, when I first met a member of the Parker
family, I actually asked why the company hadn't followed the "trend"
towards making all its boats with what was then called "eurotransoms,"
or if not that, brackets. Three reasons, I was told: eurotransoms cut
down on interior space in the boat and make it more difficult in small
boats to reach fish off the transom, and brackets on smaller boats
entirely change the balance of those boats in a negative way.

One of my favorite boats when I was growing up was an Amesbury dory.
It had a 15" transom. I drove that little boat as far as two six gallon
tanks of gas would take me, and though it had a flat bottom and low
sides, I never got in serious trouble in rough water.

Mako, btw, used to make a 23 or 25 footer whose transom cutout was so
low, it seemed to be only an inch or two about the waterline. Great
fishing boat. Whatever water it took on board rushed right out the transom.

Now, if I were a weekend floating condo owner on the mighty Lake Lanier,
and boated on big waters only vicariously, I suppose I'd be so concerned
I'd have to relocate to Derby, Kansas.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:27:50 -0400, HK wrote:

brackets on smaller boats
entirely change the balance of those boats in a negative way.

I would have to disagree with them on this one.

Brackets can improve the boat's handling by the simple addition of two
or three feet - in effect it lengthens the boat which can result in
increased speed, more reponsive trim and better planing performance.

Which is not to say they have their less attractive points - in
particular coming off plane, but that can be negated by the
advantages.

I'm also surprised that they would say something like this because
I've seen Parker's with transom brackets on boats like yours.

Maybe custom?

HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:27:50 -0400, HK wrote:

brackets on smaller boats
entirely change the balance of those boats in a negative way.

I would have to disagree with them on this one.

Brackets can improve the boat's handling by the simple addition of two
or three feet - in effect it lengthens the boat which can result in
increased speed, more reponsive trim and better planing performance.

Which is not to say they have their less attractive points - in
particular coming off plane, but that can be negated by the
advantages.

I'm also surprised that they would say something like this because
I've seen Parker's with transom brackets on boats like yours.

Maybe custom?

The Parker rep was referring to its smaller boats, those 21' or less.
The Parker I just sold had a bracket, but it was a 25-footer.
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:27:50 -0400, HK penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

JimH wrote:
"Steve P" wrote in message
[...]

It might be noted that if one is taking much water over the (low)
transom, one should be looking for the engines to aspirate some of
that water... not good.

Parker is quite correct in the matter of the bracket. It can be very
difficult, in close quarters, to control a boat that has the power
that far aft and that close together. I do prefer it to that butt-ugly
"eurotransom" though.

I have found that, in my boat, even with over 4 feet of freeboard at
the bow, that is where I am most likely to take on my share of green
water. I've never taken any over the transom, but have worried about
the engines...

In the most treacherous local inlet, even the 60' Hammerstrom will
take a bit over the bow..... I've never seen any come over the
transom.... ever, although the transom is fairly low....

If the boat is properly engineered, I think I'd pick something other
than transom height to worry about....

Gene: Your email crapped out on me again, and a note I sent you bounced.

Are you available Monday...or not? Your last note left me...confused.

Oh...the new boat...for a 21-footer, it is just enormous, with a huge
Carolina-like bow. Did a bit of "re-engineering" on the bow deck...with
an anchor roller, a cleat and two chocks, instead of the standard pair
of cleats.

I'm looking for a 1" round piece of oak or hickory, about 6' long, on
which to attach a traditional boat hook. There's something about those
telescoping aluminum boathooks I don't like.

"Steve P" wrote in message
Harry, we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel on Monday and
darned if we didn't pass a Parker just like yours going the opposite way.
I saw the transom in my rear view mirror and thought could it be you?

Steve P.

There is a bass fishing tournament on Lake Erie this week (saw it set up
yesterday when heading out to the Lake..........official weigh in station is
on the Vermilion River.

Although we had fairly calm waters yesterday afternoon it is amazing to see
bass boats on the Lake in 3-5+ footers (capping). These boats look like
they have a freeboard of about a foot.

How do these boat drain? Bilge pump only?

HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"Steve P" wrote in message
Harry, we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel on Monday and
darned if we didn't pass a Parker just like yours going the opposite way.
I saw the transom in my rear view mirror and thought could it be you?

Steve P.

There is a bass fishing tournament on Lake Erie this week (saw it set up
yesterday when heading out to the Lake..........official weigh in station is
on the Vermilion River.

Although we had fairly calm waters yesterday afternoon it is amazing to see
bass boats on the Lake in 3-5+ footers (capping). These boats look like
they have a freeboard of about a foot.

How do these boat drain? Bilge pump only?

Mostly.
That's why they are mostly useful on lakes and mild rivers, though the
larger bassboats have more freeboard. Not much deadrise, and sometimes
an almost flat bottom. They're fine for their intended purpose until the
water gets choppy. Very, very fast.
HK HK is offline

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:14:27 -0400, HK penned the following well

JimH wrote:
"Steve P" wrote in message
[...]

Nah... Monday I'll be working. No way I'll get out of that!

All of my email should be working, now..... I lost the server for a
couple of days due to an electrical storm, but everything should be
ok, now....

Oh...the new boat...for a 21-footer, it is just enormous, with a huge
Carolina-like bow. Did a bit of "re-engineering" on the bow deck...with
an anchor roller, a cleat and two chocks, instead of the standard pair
of cleats.

I'm looking for a 1" round piece of oak or hickory, about 6' long, on
which to attach a traditional boat hook. There's something about those
telescoping aluminum boathooks I don't like.

Hoe handle?

Hmmm. Possibility, if I can find one with a 1" end, or someone with a
substantial lathe...the boat hook fitting is typically 1" inside diameter.