Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Transoms - Everglades Boats anti-swamping solution

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:01:01 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I swamped an old 14 foot run-about with a 40 horse Johnson on a flat, calm
fresh water pond. Of course, I was young and an idiot.
I was trying to see how big of a confused wake I could make by going around
in really tight circles, at a speed that produced the biggest wake.
Everything was fine, then all of a sudden the boat was almost up to the
gunnels with water.

Engine kept chugging away though, and I beached it to bail it out. The trip
to shore was scary. Boats don't handle very well when they are full of
water and I fully expected it to turn into a submarine at any moment.

Only close to swamping incident I recall is me and my grandad getting
caught out fishing on a lake when a storm rolled through fast.
He had his Elgin (7 horse I think) on his steel 12 or 14 footer.
Had to beach it as was filling up from waves splashing over from every
direction. Scary.
I probably put 10 times more miles rowing that boat while fishing than
it had with anybody clamping the motor on it.
Nice fishing boat, with built-in livewells on each side amidships.
But heavy.

--Vic