Default Porsche Gas Mileage

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:46:10 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Just to add some boating content to this thread:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/boats/fir...cht-238000.php

Slick llooking - I'll give it that.

Not a lot of fishing space though. :)

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:22:15 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Her response? "Oh .... is *that* what it is? I thought it was because
I've been using "regular" gas instead of "high test" ever since the price of
gas hit four dollars a gallon.

Heh...

Some people should stick to horses

Speaking of 91 octane, the gas stations around here aren't sellin it
anymore - or the mid-grade 87 octane.

Just regular.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:42:52 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .

My 'Vette is an entirely different story. When I took the blower off
and downsized from twin 950 Holleys to single, put the rear end back
to street legal and changed over from street drag slicks to street
legal tires, the mileage went up marginally - from about 6 mpg to
maybe 10. I went from 645 hp on a dyno to just south of 400 hp.

Think it might help if I took the 3/4 cam and NOX out of it? :)

The '67 GTO needs 91 octane or better and even then it will still "knock" a
bit if you get on it.
So, I don't. I thought about retarding the timing a little, but I drive the
car very infrequently and baby it when I do.
I'll just leave it alone.

The '63 Galaxie with a 390 seems very happy on 91 octane. Again, I only
drive it for a few hours per month, so it's 10 mpg isn't a big issue.

Are the higher octanes 10% ethanol or is it just regular?

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:22:15 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Her response? "Oh .... is *that* what it is? I thought it was because
I've been using "regular" gas instead of "high test" ever since the price
of
gas hit four dollars a gallon.

Heh...

Some people should stick to horses

Speaking of 91 octane, the gas stations around here aren't sellin it
anymore - or the mid-grade 87 octane.

Just regular.

Really? If I remember correctly, around here 87 octane is "regular", 89
octane is "plus" or something,
91 octane is "high test" .... and then Sunoco sells 93 octane as "Ultra".

I seem to remember that many years ago Sunoco used to sell a very high
octane blend .... something like 97 ... for the muscle car crowd.

Eisboch

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:42:52 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

. ..

[...]

10% ethanol. Ethanol is supposed to have a higher octane rating than gas,
so the gas part of the mix has probably been lowered in terms of octane. I
don't know.

Eisboch

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:46:10 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Just to add some boating content to this thread:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/boats/fir...cht-238000.php

Slick llooking - I'll give it that.

Not a lot of fishing space though. :)

I read about these before. Porsche really has nothing to do with them other
than the fact that Fearless contracted the Porsche design group to come up
with the "look".

Eisboch

Jim Jim is offline

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

Frankly, I am not sure I believe the computer. I just filled it up and
will check it the old fashioned way ..... mileage driven, gallons used.

I think I'm getting a bit more in the X5, too. I'll have to try that.

Have you ever run mid-grade in your German cars? I know the computers
will adjust and the fuel economy can decrease.

I never tried anything but "high test". When we had the BMW's, the price
of gas wasn't an issue, so there was no reason.
One downside of the Porsche is that it calls for 93 octane (minimum). The
only place I can get it is at Sunoco, who still carries 93 "Ultra". I've
often considered taking it over to the little Plymouth airport where I
took flying lessons and see if I could buy half a tank of 100 octane
aviation fuel to mix with the 93 octane. Problem is that I think aviation
gas is still leaded, and it would probably screw something up.

Mrs.E. had a good one the other day. Her Navigator calls for "high test"
(91 octane). She was giving me a ride back from the Cape after I brought
the boat down there and I noticed that her left directional was blinking
twice as fast as the right. I mentioned to her that one of the blinker
lights was probably out.

Her response? "Oh .... is *that* what it is? I thought it was because
I've been using "regular" gas instead of "high test" ever since the price
of gas hit four dollars a gallon.

Some people should stick to horses.

Eisboch

Keep it up and you will be mucking stalls forever.

Eisboch wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:22:15 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Her response? "Oh .... is *that* what it is? I thought it was because
I've been using "regular" gas instead of "high test" ever since the price
of
gas hit four dollars a gallon.

Heh...

Some people should stick to horses

Speaking of 91 octane, the gas stations around here aren't sellin it
anymore - or the mid-grade 87 octane.

Just regular.

Really? If I remember correctly, around here 87 octane is "regular", 89
octane is "plus" or something,
91 octane is "high test" .... and then Sunoco sells 93 octane as "Ultra".

I seem to remember that many years ago Sunoco used to sell a very high
octane blend .... something like 97 ... for the muscle car crowd.

Doesn't Sunoco put 10% ethanol in their "fuel?" I see that sticker on
their pumps and pass by. My gas sucking pig, 2001 F-150 5.4L, gets 20%
less MPG when the fuel contains ethanol.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:10:10 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:22:15 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Her response? "Oh .... is *that* what it is? I thought it was because
I've been using "regular" gas instead of "high test" ever since the price
of
gas hit four dollars a gallon.

Heh...

Some people should stick to horses

Speaking of 91 octane, the gas stations around here aren't sellin it
anymore - or the mid-grade 87 octane.

Just regular.

Really? If I remember correctly, around here 87 octane is "regular", 89
octane is "plus" or something,
91 octane is "high test" .... and then Sunoco sells 93 octane as "Ultra".

I seem to remember that many years ago Sunoco used to sell a very high
octane blend .... something like 97 ... for the muscle car crowd.

There's a Sunoco station in Ashford that still sells it I think.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:44:38 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

It really is an amazing car, given 445hp, it's performance and it's fuel
economy.
I should drive it all the time.

A car like that should be in a better climate.

Let me store it for you here in Florida. :-)

Buzz: Icepick and TomSportWaveShorting.. Porsche content Tim General 0 December 7th 06 01:07 PM
mileage Bede17 ASA 1 September 11th 04 10:55 PM
Gas Mileage Dan Thompson General 7 August 15th 03 07:59 AM
Gas Mileage Ron Thornton Boat Building 3 July 5th 03 09:38 PM