Default Porsche Gas Mileage

Eisboch wrote:
"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:22:15 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Her Navigator calls for "high test"
(91 octane).

We put 100 000 miles on ours, all with the cheapstuff.

Casady

I'll mention that to her.

She has a "thing" for Navigators. This one is her third one. I remember
the first one (I think a '01 model) was absolutely horrible to drive IMO.
Sloppy handling and no power. It felt like it needed a bow thruster just to
turn a sharp corner. When she decided to trade that one in, I convinced her
to at least try the Caddy version of that vehicle. I forget what it was
called, but it turned out it was just as soft and mushy as the original
Navigator .... maybe even worse.

But Ford obviously redesigned the suspension in the later models because her
second and current versions actually handle decently, ride well and have
much more ummmph to them for a large vehicle. But, they still get terrible
mileage. Problem is, she needs something of that size to carry all her
horse equipment and junk around.

If you had driven the Ford or Chevy versions the steering and ride would
have been firmer and stiffer, respectively. The Lincolns and Cadillacs
are given the squishier rides because they usually have softer bodies
riding around in them.

"N.L. Eckert" wrote in message
I was once given the keys to a 911 Targa and allowed to drive it around
a mall parking lot for a test drive. I wouldn't have cared it it got 5
MPG, I was in love with that car and would have lived with what ever
the milaeage came to. Unfortunately, I had just bought another car and
wasn't able to take on 2 cars, so the opportunity eluded me.

Mine's a 911 (996) Twin Turbo. I drive it very infrequently and often
wonder why I keep it.
But, all it takes is a nice day and a ride somewhere and I quickly remember
why.

Eisboch

DK DK is offline

Calif Bill wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
news
"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
In these days of high fuel prices and being "green", I love it when
people smugly comment about how my 911 TT must be "terrible"
in terms of gas mileage.

Today, for kicks, I reset the car computer that calculates MPG as I
entered
onto a limited access highway heading back from the Cape.
I drove for approximately 35 minutes, at speeds ranging from 60 -75 mph,
mostly 65-70 mph. I didn't do anything special in terms of driving
techniques ... just drove normally.

At the end of the 35 minutes, the computer calculated mileage display
read "28.9 mpg".
My "normal" average of combined around town and highway driving is
usually about
20-21 mpg unless I have done some sustained "spirited" driving.

Not bad, all things considered, and the look on people's faces when I
tell
them what it gets for mileage is usually one of disbelief.

It really is an amazing car, given 445hp, it's performance and it's fuel
economy.
I should drive it all the time.

Eisboch

I'd be very happy with 20mpg. My X5 4.8 has horrible gas mileage - 18
average. We did order the Z4 3.0si - not as a replacement - and it is
advertised as 18/27. It will be interesting to see what the real number
is.

I think the Porsche's advantage is light weight, aerodynamics and an
engine that is basically loafing along at 75 mph.
It isn't even breathing hard, the turbos aren't doing anything and it's
operating at a fraction of it's capability.

Eisboch

Looking at new car for SWMBO. Liked the Acura MDX, and find out mileage is
12-18 mpg. Looking at a Saturn Vue Hybrid, but waiting until the 09's come
out to see if they are better. Supposedly different hybrid scheme. Coming
back from Oakland last night the Diesel truck got 17.3. Some freeway, some
hill driving.

I rented a Saturn Outlook and was impressed. I can't vouch for the fuel
economy or tow rating.

"DK" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
news
"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

Wifes car. Tow is a 2004 Chevy diesel.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"N.L. Eckert" wrote in message
I was once given the keys to a 911 Targa and allowed to drive it around
a mall parking lot for a test drive. I wouldn't have cared it it got 5
MPG, I was in love with that car and would have lived with what ever
the milaeage came to. Unfortunately, I had just bought another car and
wasn't able to take on 2 cars, so the opportunity eluded me.

Mine's a 911 (996) Twin Turbo. I drive it very infrequently and often
wonder why I keep it.
But, all it takes is a nice day and a ride somewhere and I quickly
remember why.

Eisboch

Couple of years ago, a local guy overheard a young man lamenting on his car
for the Senior Prom. Loaned him his car. Was a 911. Kid was class. Drove
it carefully and washed and waxed it before returning. Guy did not know the
kid before the loan. Both people showed a lot of class and judgement of
people.

Buzz: Icepick and TomSportWaveShorting.. Porsche content Tim General 0 December 7th 06 01:07 PM
mileage Bede17 ASA 1 September 11th 04 10:55 PM
Gas Mileage Dan Thompson General 7 August 15th 03 07:59 AM
Gas Mileage Ron Thornton Boat Building 3 July 5th 03 09:38 PM